Step up Stirling Engine generated voltage

FunAndGamesCircuit

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Hello,

I am an electronics engineering graduate but with the easy recruitment and stuff I am working as an IT engineer.

I still do have my electronic circuits, microcontroller and sensors for hobby purposes.

Here I have a dream to use thermal energy conversion to mechanical and then electrical energy. Best way for it is Stirling Engine, with generated electrical energy I want to run 5V sensors arduino or sth about those 5-7V loads.

What is the best way for me to try to step up the 3.5V output of a Stirling engine voltage?

Some capacitors or joule thief or sth to start with?

I would love to hear a first step opinion from electronics geniuses from the forum.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Best way for it is Stirling Engine, with generated electrical energy I want to run 5V sensors arduino or sth about those 5-7V loads.
Have you taken the time to consider the output of such a tiny Stirling? One that small doesn't have much power to begin with, and then you factor in the reductions of each on going step and you are never going to get much power output in the end of this. Just be aware of the laws of thermal dynamics, there is no free lunch

FunAndGamesCircuit

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Thanks a lot @Ian0 and @shortbus

First will try to maximize the output voltage by mechanical enhancements then will see what values there is to play with.

I will keep updating and ask for more.

Thanks in advance again

FunAndGamesCircuit

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Hello again, I made mechanical adjustments as smaller pulley and the magical WD40 for lubricating gears of the wheel. For glass lubrication will try graphite lubrication spray but so far I got 6VDC from 3.7.

Here's how I made :

Now it's time to play with output voltage

I will share my real purpose then will ask questions again.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Attachments

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Of course voltage does not mean much on its own. The real question is how much power you get out of this Stirling engine compared with the power you put in (the lamp flame).
I think the overall efficiency of this generator will be extremely low. This may not be a problem if you are getting the input source of heat for nothing: Sun, or waste heat from some other process.
So, instead of simply trying to maximise the voltage out, attach a load - a simple resistor to start with - and measure the voltage when attached to this load. Then you can calculate the power being generated. You may be surprised how low this power actually is!
First thing you will notice is that even if you connect a very small electrical load (a fairly high resistance) to the generator the Stirling engine will run much slower or even stop.

FunAndGamesCircuit

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Thanks a lot @Marley ! First thing I am going to do is to measure the output voltage when the load is connected.

Worst case I might use this output voltage as analog read and do something with it arduino analog read.

Will keep the process posted.

Thanks again!

FunAndGamesCircuit

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Thank you all again, as your advice @Marley, I was very concerned the voltage will drop drastically and eventually engine won't be able to run. But microcontroller maybe having low input impedance and low power devices I have finally did it.

The video above is short version to show that it is done. Will upload the whole soldering cabling process later.

Thanks again @shortbus @Ian0 and @Marley

FunAndGamesCircuit

Joined Dec 27, 2021
Hello everyone, I don't want to cause some rubbish topic in the forum but also there might be someone wants to be the part of it or curious about it. There now I am trying Low temperature stirling engine, made larger pulley, will 3d print small engine pulley and sinkheat then joule thief.

If you guys want to follow you can check: