Sound amplifier and speaker compatibility with other electronic components (Motor and LED's)

Jacob1994

Joined May 11, 2021
Good Morning,

I'm trying to build a rotating turntable and I believe the below motor is the one I will be using. My knowledge on electronics doesn't go beyond high school so I'm very unsure of the power requirements for this motor.

https://www.banggood.com/DC-6V-1rpm...-1055274.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=category

The space I'll be containing the motor in is quite restrictive so I'm hoping to keep the battery size to a minimum, would I be wrong to think the below battery or number of them could provide sufficient power to this motor?

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail...RFeB592b5q2e4P1_q0RoC0aQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would this battery setup alternatively be sufficient?

https://www.tequipment.net/Global-S...NvdkXMJ15CHiaent33ErtDAgZccJ4TWhoCG7sQAvD_BwE

I appreciate your help

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010

https://www.tequipment.net/Global-S...NvdkXMJ15CHiaent33ErtDAgZccJ4TWhoCG7sQAvD_BwE

I appreciate your help
I like the idea of using rechargeable AAs. They're the most cost-effective battery because of their volume. They'll certainly run the motor for hours at a time and then you can recharge them easily with a charger matched to the battery chemistry. If your project ends, you can always use the AAs for something else. The lantern battery has plenty of capacity but is large and can't be recharged.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
The motor under steady state running takes 0.1A (100mA). 4 AA cells won't have much capacity and the motor may only last a few hours before voltage drop makes it slow down.
The larger lantern battery, if genuine, will have a much higher capacity, anywhere from around 10Ah for good Zinc battery, to over 24Ah for an alkaline battery. In theory, the lantern battery could run that motor for several days. There are some "fake" lantern batteries out there, that only have D cells internally. Make sure you get a genuine battery.

Jacob1994

Joined May 11, 2021
Well I'd like it to last for a few hours at least, it wouldn't be in constant use, I'm planning to install a switch on the exterior. Here are a couple of images from the model I've been creating, the scale of the model is to the actual building scale in reality so the dimension shown is going to be 100x smaller. i.e. 4635mm = 46.35mm
The below images are showing the base platform in pink, with the green structure above being what I'm looking to rotate. I created a model for the motor from the sketch below, which leaves me with around 46mm of space between the base wall and motor, I'll be making the base slightly deeper to accommodate the height of the motor shaft but the space around the motor will remain the same. Do you think the remaining space will be sufficient for a large enough battery if the ones I mentioned above are potentially suitable?

Once I have the base specified I'm going to be looking at wiring inside the columns that will go up to a dome structure above where I intend to install a thin strip light. I'm hoping that coin cell batteries will be sufficient power for the LED. As you can see from the images I have limited space above the motor, but my hope is to create create a small shelf platform above the height of the motor where the coin cell batteries can be secured to during rotation. I also plan to create a switch on the side of the rotating structure to turn the LED's on & off.

In a perfect scenario, I was also hoping to add a musical element that could somehow be activated when the motor was turned on, but I realize that would likely require more advanced electronics components that may be too large or demand too much power, either way it was just a thought. If I can get the lighting and motor rotation set that would be great!

P.S. This is an anniversary present for my wife that I have until August 24th to get finished! :)
Capture2.JPGmotor.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture1.JPGg

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Well I'd like it to last for a few hours at least, it wouldn't be in constant use, I'm planning to install a switch on the exterior. Here are a couple of images from the model I've been creating, the scale of the model is to the actual building scale in reality so the dimension shown is going to be 100x smaller. i.e. 4635mm = 46.35mm
Would an emergency lighting rechargeable do the trick?
$20.00 from Home depot.

1620759596174.png

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Good Morning,

I'm trying to build a rotating turntable and I believe the below motor is the one I will be using. My knowledge on electronics doesn't go beyond high school so I'm very unsure of the power requirements for this motor.

https://www.banggood.com/DC-6V-1rpm...-1055274.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=category

The space I'll be containing the motor in is quite restrictive so I'm hoping to keep the battery size to a minimum, would I be wrong to think the below battery or number of them could provide sufficient power to this motor?

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail...RFeB592b5q2e4P1_q0RoC0aQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I appreciate your help
Motor:

1620759948150.png

1/10th Amp needed but they do not tell you stall current- how much it takes to start it from a dead-stop, which could be much more.

Battery says it can deliver 13A over 1 hour. That is cumulative, not instantaneous. What it means is that it can deliver 3.6mA every second, instantaneously. Batterywise- I'd definitely not use Duracell, but would use Energizer instead- just based on personal experience AND datasheet. Energizer batteries usually deliver higher Ah, at higher voltage.

The battery you are looking at (MN908) datasheet is attached- notice the power-curve and resistance. Your motor, based on Ohm's Law has a resistance of approximately: 60-Ohms. It will gobble current.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It is possible for you to power it with a plug in power supply? It would be easier then jamming a sufficient battery in thats small space.
Yes, and a standard 5V supply would be fine. They're so common these days that they're virtually free.

Jacob1994

Joined May 11, 2021
Motor:

View attachment 238038

1/10th Amp needed but they do not tell you stall current- how much it takes to start it from a dead-stop, which could be much more.

Battery says it can deliver 13A over 1 hour. That is cumulative, not instantaneous. What it means is that it can deliver 3.6mA every second, instantaneously. Batterywise- I'd definitely not use Duracell, but would use Energizer instead- just based on personal experience AND datasheet. Energizer batteries usually deliver higher Ah, at higher voltage.

The battery you are looking at (MN908) datasheet is attached- notice the power-curve and resistance. Your motor, based on Ohm's Law has a resistance of approximately: 60-Ohms. It will gobble current.
Thanks for the detailed response, would the RPM affect the power requirement? I'm looking at similar motors with a higher rpm such as this one with an rpm of 10. It has a rated current of 0.06A and the output torque is 5.6kg.cm.
https://www.banggood.com/Reversible...mmds=detail-left-hotproducts&cur_warehouse=CN
I've managed to increase the radius of the battery space by about 1cm, I'm not sure I'd be able to increase the area much more though. So that gives 3 separate spaces around the motor of 55mm or just over 2"

Attachments

Jacob1994

Joined May 11, 2021
It is possible for you to power it with a plug in power supply? It would be easier then jamming a sufficient battery in thats small space.
Hi Yaakov,
I didn't consider that, are you suggesting a I create a connection that would work on a wall socket or just an external power source like a bigger battery?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi Yaakov,
I didn't consider that, are you suggesting a I create a connection that would work on a wall socket or just an external power source like a bigger battery?
A small 6V power supply terminated in a 5.5 x 2.1 barrel connector like this one for example: ww.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-5-5mm-Listed/dp/B08T5XKMPB/ and a connector like this one: https://www.amazon.com/OTOT-5-5mm-Female-Socket-Electrical/dp/B077YB75N3 would do the trick.

If plugging it in will be OK, it will solve a lot of problems.

Jacob1994

Joined May 11, 2021
A small 6V power supply terminated in a 5.5 x 2.1 barrel connector like this one for example: ww.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-5-5mm-Listed/dp/B08T5XKMPB/ and a connector like this one: https://www.amazon.com/OTOT-5-5mm-Female-Socket-Electrical/dp/B077YB75N3 would do the trick.

If plugging it in will be OK, it will solve a lot of problems.
Ok, that seems like something I can do, would I need to have resisters/capacitors since the power going to the motor would be much higher?

I'm also trying to determine the best way of fixing the power source for the LED lights since they will need to rotate with the structure. The below image is what I was currently thinking, however, my concern is 1) how to secure the batteries so they do not slide or fall off the shelf 2) access would be very difficult, currently measuring 7.3mm

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Ok, that seems like something I can do, would I need to have resisters/capacitors since the power going to the motor would be much higher?

I'm also trying to determine the best way of fixing the power source for the LED lights since they will need to rotate with the structure. The below image is what I was currently thinking, however, my concern is 1) how to secure the batteries so they do not slide or fall off the shelf 2) access would be very difficult, currently measuring 7.3mm
The power supply I showed you is 6VDC, same as the motor's requirement.

Though it is complicated and you may not have time, slip rings are the way to do the power to the lights.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Running a 6v motor on 12v means you are going to exceed the rated RPM, You can exceed it to a small degree, but 12v will most likely cause a problem, without some kind of controller, PWM etc.