(Solved) How can I fix my PC mouse?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I only fixed my mouse once and it was because my only spare mouses were wireless which I hate.The problem was that my mouse lost its "spring" inside the button so it didnt return back to original position.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I only fixed my mouse once and it was because my only spare mouses were wireless which I hate.The problem was that my mouse lost its "spring" inside the button so it didnt return back to original position.
Sometimes I miss the good old trackball mouses with optical wheel encoders... they were fun to play with.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
If you don't want to oxidise, when you finish the soldering then you have to clear up the iron tip, and putting on some tin around the surface when the iron tip still heating up, and then the tin will isolated the air to stop the iron tip oxidise.

And the spare iron tips should be pack by some kitchen papers and put into a plastic big and close the bag to isolated the air.
Yeah, I exactly save the whole iron station like that. My spare tips are inside a plastic bag, and that plastic bag is inside another plastic bag with the cleaning tools. I also put solder yesterday all over the tip (it's not that much of solder), the end of the tip, not the whole conic shape.

But one question:
Why would you want to clean it?

I would say you clean it when you use it again, right after you're ready to heat things and solder.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Yeah, I exactly save the whole iron station like that. My spare tips are inside a plastic bag, and that plastic bag is inside another plastic bag with the cleaning tools. I also put solder yesterday all over the tip (it's not that much of solder), the end of the tip, not the whole conic shape.

But one question:
Why would you want to clean it?

I would say you clean it when you use it again, right after you're ready to heat things and solder.
After we using it need to clear, because it had some dirty stuffs on it and it may cause oxidise, before we using it need to clean, because the iron tip has tin on it, when we want to use it then we have to clear those old tin, they may not easy for soldering.

Hey! I'm sorry if I sounded like jerk! I giving what seemed like practical advice but should have paid more attention to posts:(!
Apology accepted. The devil is in the details and he/she was definitely there.

example:
Threat? a) person in wheelchair b) Person in wheelchair with perceived gun

OK thing to do? a) Kick a guy between the legs b) kick a guy between the legs because they were picking on you in continuously in grade school and you were jumped (3 people at least) walking home from school off of school property. They quit picking on me after that. No one ratted to school or parents either. C) The person raped your girlfriend.

1st one was a recent newspaper example and the police killed the person in the wheelchair. The second (B&C) was a real life example. B&C had no police involvement because of circumstances.

==

Would you flunk the test that said:
Read everything first.
The last line says put your name on the top of the paper and stop.

the rest of the test, was stuff like, put your fingers in your ears etc. You could easily figure out who didn't follow directions.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Apology accepted. The devil is in the details and he/she was definitely there.

example:
Threat? a) person in wheelchair b) Person in wheelchair with perceived gun

OK thing to do? a) Kick a guy between the legs b) kick a guy between the legs because they were picking on you in continuously in grade school and you were jumped (3 people at least) walking home from school off of school property. They quit picking on me after that. No one ratted to school or parents either. C) The person raped your girlfriend.

1st one was a recent newspaper example and the police killed the person in the wheelchair. The second (B&C) was a real life example. B&C had no police involvement because of circumstances.

==

Would you flunk the test that said:
Read everything first.
The last line says put your name on the top of the paper and stop.

the rest of the test, was stuff like, put your fingers in your ears etc. You could easily figure out who didn't follow directions.
What if I tell you I did not understand any of this, lol?

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Over 100 posts to repair a broken USB cable on a mouse. We've seen worse. :rolleyes:
Well that's not fair, the problem was fixed few days ago. Also, it's not fair neither cause when you repair things, the ultimate algorithm you got to do is not at all what counts. Imagine a client goes to your shop with his TV broken. After you've studied its circuit, checked connections, cables, and spent few hours discovering what can be failing, you find out a cable is loose and a resistor seems burnt. You repair it and the client comes next day and says: Well, since you just soldered a resistor and a cable, I think $10 is more than enough for that kind of work. It doesn't work like that.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Relax, I wasn't mocking you, or anyone else. Just noting that a thread that "outlived its usefulness" is not a rare thing around here. We had one a few months ago titled something like "Lighting an LED" that went on for over 100 pages.
Yeah, the written word always seems drier in the absence context.
So you've fixed a mouse. That's an excellent start. I encourage you to find another small project and explore new possibilities.
I promise you, we'll help you complete it, and learn in the process.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Relax, I wasn't mocking you, or anyone else. Just noting that a thread that "outlived its usefulness" is not a rare thing around here. We had one a few months ago titled something like "Lighting an LED" that went on for over 100 pages.
I know you weren't mocking me. It's just that I don't like it when someone says the solution and the problem was easy and simple because the steps of the actual reparation were simple and easy. Once something is fixed, it's easy to judge the reparation process, and seems easier than what it was when you didn't know if this or that would fix the problem.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I know you weren't mocking me. It's just that I don't like it when someone says the solution and the problem was easy and simple because the steps of the actual reparation were simple and easy. Once something is fixed, it's easy to judge the reparation process, and seems easier than what it was when you didn't know if this or that would fix the problem.
And there's another life lesson for everyone... if you ever work independently, you have to make your client feel that you've completely poured yourself into solving his problem. Otherwise he'll think that the solution was too simple and won't like it when you hand him the bill.

Indeed! Diagnosis (i.e. 'troubleshooting' or 'debugging', if you will) is often 98% of the challenge!:)

Best regards
HP:)

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
I don't know how many of you make a living out of repairing electronics, but I have an interesting question about this.

If I go to your shop, with my 2013 Samsung curve TV 4K, $2999, that suddenly stopped working (it won't turn on). How much would you charge?
Imagine you open the giant device and it's only a loosen cable of the power cable.