Soldering wick not absorbing

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Respectfully.Because they might Lock up This thread. The concern is always about the thread starter. They are lenient to active members to a fault perhaps.But they do have a duty to perform, believe me I know.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Nope, haven't tried it yet. Yaakov recommended it. Softens and lowers the melt point of solder making it easier to remove with less heat is the idea. LOTS OF FLUX is usually the key to solder removal and adding a bit of this is supposed to lower the melt point. FWIW Yaakov's recommendations to me have always been good advice! Best thing I've found is my vacuum desoldering station.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Hello there! :)
Did someone say rubbish?
Happens to be my mantra.
To the Thread Starter. Is it possible to take a photograph of the equipment you are using the soldering iron the solder wick or perhaps a description of the soldering iron is it variable temperature?How many watts? type of tip you're using? Any and all information you can provide,thank you.
I'll try to post photos.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Nope, haven't tried it yet. Yaakov recommended it. Softens and lowers the melt point of solder making it easier to remove with less heat is the idea. LOTS OF FLUX is usually the key to solder removal and adding a bit of this is supposed to lower the melt point. FWIW Yaakov's recommendations to me have always been good advice! Best thing I've found is my vacuum desoldering station.
Good enough for me. Soo.
Does that stuff come in six pack? :D

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What IS important is to avoid acid flux. There is lots of resin based flux and water soluble flux available. So it is important to read the rest of the lable on the container because both types are available.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
OK, so it is electrical solder paste flux. Not exactly a leading name brand like Kester so who knows... I actually keep ~6 different fluxes on hand. Both liquid and paste so if one isn't doing the job I grab another. I usually use Kester or MG Chemicals. Usually the liquid Kester 951 no clean flux as there isn't all the rosin left behind or if SMD then MG Chemicals no clean paste flux. Sometimes desoldering I'll use a dab of the MGC paste as the liquid disappears fast as it evaporates and paste kinda puddles for a bit longer. Point is, if one ain't workin, try another!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have used it, it works very well.

If the TS is working in a ROHS board, he may get much better results if he adds some lead-based solder to the joint to lower the melting point.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
Hello there! :)
Did someone say rubbish?
Happens to be my mantra.
To the Thread Starter. Is it possible to take a photograph of the equipment you are using the soldering iron the solder wick or perhaps a description of the soldering iron is it variable temperature?How many watts? type of tip you're using? Any and all information you can provide,thank you.
Here is a photo of the tools I'm using, the soldering iron's temperature controller is broken, after 30 minutes, the maximum temperature is 110 farhenheit, it delivered broken. The grey thing on the wik could be dust.

edited tools.jpg

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That style of soldering iron will probably not deliver enough heat to work with that size of solder wick. And the glob of melted solder on the end of the roll verifies this. Every one of those tips is a soldering tip, none suitable for use with solder wick.
Just because an iron is suitable for making a good connection does not make it able to apply enough heat energy to supply adequate heat for unsoldering. The Solderwick does carry a lot of heat away, and so more wattage is needed. One of those 40watt unregulated irons with the solid copper tip 1/8 or 5/32 inch diameter will do the job, and probably cost about as much as one of those tips shown for the whole iron. The ones I am describing used to sell for about $8 at Radio Shack a few years ago.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
That style of soldering iron will probably not deliver enough heat to work with that size of solder wick. And the glob of melted solder on the end of the roll verifies this. Every one of those tips is a soldering tip, none suitable for use with solder wick.
Just because an iron is suitable for making a good connection does not make it able to apply enough heat energy to supply adequate heat for unsoldering. The Solderwick does carry a lot of heat away, and so more wattage is needed. One of those 40watt unregulated irons with the solid copper tip 1/8 or 5/32 inch diameter will do the job, and probably cost about as much as one of those tips shown for the whole iron. The ones I am describing used to sell for about $8 at Radio Shack a few years ago.
Can you post a photo of the tip you are talking about?

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
The chisel tip on the iron is good to use, but I usually always just use the knife tip. Set your iron to 350c if you want to be safe. 400c if you want to be done with it. Add lots of flux. Tin the wick a little with fresh solder if that doesn't work get some new wick. Cut the used wick off. It also helps sometimes to cut small pieces of the wick off to use instead of trying to use the whole roll.

Cheap wick is the worst.