pirlem

Joined Feb 7, 2022
OK, and solar panels evidently come in a number of varieties. Some will produce reduced power while others stop. I suspect it is the difference between a single series string and multiple strings of cells in parallel.
Hello, I already did the measurements with the multimeter, the solar array delivers voltage as follow:

- Direct midday sun: 5,6v
- Indoor midday without direct sun: 3,32v
- In the dark with a direct 230-240V-50Hz LED1x3W lamp light: 4,3v
- Placed face down on the table: 0,09v

These measurements were made directly from the alligator clips of the solar panel, without connecting them to the motor.

But today another problem arises: when I switched on the device connected to the solar panel with direct sunlight it doesn't turn on anymore, I tried also with the 3 necessary batteries and it doesn't work either. I don't know what could have happened, could it be that some component of the system went crazy receiving variable energy from the solar panel instead of the 3x 1.5v batteries as designed? I connect the solar panel to the contact points of the battery compartment, and until a few days ago it worked perfectly.
Happily, when I connect the solar panel directly to the + and - points of the motor, it does work! So I can think that some other component of the previous system is the one that is not working. I have to say that before the motor this device has LED lights and a sound sensor for the LED lights, but these do not influence the rotation of the motor when switched on. With which I am thinking of ignoring all these previous connections that are not useful for the project and making the direct connection of the solar panel to the motor.
My question would be, do you think I could damage the motor doing so (I attach photos of the motor, specs: DYC42 MOTOR, DC4.5V 4/5r/min CW) with the energy generated by my solar panel, in the long term? And what could have happened to the rest of the system that does not work now? I have looked again and again for false connections or loose wires, and nothing seems to be.

Thanks again so much in advice
have a wonderful day you all!

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello, I already did the measurements with the multimeter, the solar array delivers voltage as follow:

- Direct midday sun: 5,6v

These measurements were made directly from the alligator clips of the solar panel, without connecting them to the motor.

But today another problem arises: when I switched on the device connected to the solar panel with direct sunlight it doesn't turn on anymore, I tried also with the 3 necessary batteries and it doesn't work either. I don't know what could have happened, could it be that some component of the system went crazy receiving variable energy from the solar panel instead of the 3x 1.5v batteries as designed? I connect the solar panel to the contact points of the battery compartment, and until a few days ago it worked perfectly.
Happily, when I connect the solar panel directly to the + and - points of the motor, it does work! So I can think that some other component of the previous system is the one that is not working. I have to say that before the motor this device has LED lights and a sound sensor for the LED lights, but these do not influence the rotation of the motor when switched on. With which I am thinking of ignoring all these previous connections that are not useful for the project and making the direct connection of the solar panel to the motor.
My question would be, do you think I could damage the motor doing so (I attach photos of the motor, specs: DYC42 MOTOR, DC4.5V 4/5r/min CW) with the energy generated by my solar panel, in the long term? And what could have happened to the rest of the system that does not work now? I have looked again and again for false connections or loose wires, and nothing seems to be.

Thanks again so much in advice
have a wonderful day you all!
It seems that the additional electronics in the motor assembly are more demanding and a lot less durable than the actual motor itself. So you may choose to disconnect those portions if they are not part of your intended project, and connect directly to the motor terminals. The LEDs do consume power, and the sound operated switching scheme certainly places some voltage drop in series with the motor. And consider that new 1.5 volt battery voltage is often above 1.6 volts, even an actual 5 volts will not damage the motor, but only turn it slightly faster. One caution is that the motor package does not look to be weather resistant, and so if there is rain, water could possibly enter and cause corrosion problems.

pirlem

Joined Feb 7, 2022
It seems that the additional electronics in the motor assembly are more demanding and a lot less durable than the actual motor itself. So you may choose to disconnect those portions if they are not part of your intended project, and connect directly to the motor terminals. The LEDs do consume power, and the sound operated switching scheme certainly places some voltage drop in series with the motor. And consider that new 1.5 volt battery voltage is often above 1.6 volts, even an actual 5 volts will not damage the motor, but only turn it slightly faster. One caution is that the motor package does not look to be weather resistant, and so if there is rain, water could possibly enter and cause corrosion problems.
Thank you very much for your comments MisterBill2, then I will connect the solar panel directly to the motor without fear.

And I appreciate your concern regarding the motor weatherproofness. Fortunately, the installation will be outdoors but inside a glass cube, so it will be protected.

pirlem

Joined Feb 7, 2022
Test #1: Does the motor (only the motor) turn the ball with the solar panel?
Result #1: If it does then there's nothing wrong with the motor.

Test #2: Does the electronics (only the electronics) work with the solar panel?
Result #2: If it does then there's nothing wrong with the electronics.

Test #3: Does everything that passed the test in #1 & #2 work together when connected to batteries?
Result #3: If it does then the whole package is in working condition.

Test #4: Does everything that passed the test #3 work when connected to the solar battery?
Result #4: If it doesn't (notice I said "doesn't") then it's likely the solar panel does not have sufficient power to run the whole package. In that case you need a bigger solar panel.

Now, assuming test #2 failed when tested with the solar panel, did it work when powered from batteries? If not then there's a chance you harmed something. Harm can come from many different scenario's. Possible among them is hooking up power the wrong way. Handling static sensitive components without the necessary ESD protection (ESD is Electro Static Discharge (or Damage)). Thus far we haven't seen a schematic with part numbers or a picture of the board you're trying to build. It's possible that you built something that wasn't going to last long no matter how you handled it. At this point there are a lot of things we don't know and therefore can't advise you on. So please produce a schematic of the circuitry you built (or bought) with part numbers and component values. I suspect you may have overstressed something without knowing it. And like Mister Bill said, the motor can very well tolerate a little extra voltage, but the electronics aren't going to be so tolerant of either too much voltage or too much current. Then as I mentioned, some components need to be handled as though ESD is going to be a problem. But ESD is another subject to cover. For now let's get an idea of what you've built.

Thank you for your kind response and interest Tonyr1084,
of the Tests that you propose, the one that does not pass the test is definitely #2. That is why I suspect that I have damaged some component(s) prior to the motor, as you also indicate.

Since I'm not good at drawing schematics, I've taken a variety of pictures of different details in the circuit of the partially disassembled device I purchased. (PFA) I hope they are clear enough to give you an idea of the circuit of the purchased product.

Moving forward, in any case, I think the best thing would be to put aside all the previous circuit of the device (I don't need the LEDs or the sound sensor for this particular project) and make a new simple circuit with a direct connection from the solar panel to the motor (with an intermediate on/off switch). What I am interested in knowing, in any case, would be what is the purpose of the capacitor (47uf 16v) that is connecting the two points of the motor? Would it then be necessary to leave it there if the rest of the components are dismissed? (pictures att.)

The specifications of the motor and solar panel that I have on hand are the following:
-
Solar Panel Product specs: Working voltage: 5 V.
Max. Power: 2.5 W.
Working current: 0 - 0.5 A.
Open-circuit voltage: 5.5 V.
Short circuit current: 0.55 A.

Testing Solar Panel with Multimeter: - Direct midday sun: 5,6v

Motor product specs: DYC42 MOTOR, DC4.5V 4/5r/min CW
-

btw also, I don't know if with this simple new circuit there will also be an ESD hazard.

thanks again
have a nice day

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
ESD Discharge?ElectroStaticDischarge? Not really, for two reasons: First, this is a closed low voltage circuit, no place for much charge to build up, and second, there is nothing rubbing that would tend to cause a static buildup.

It is possible that when you revise the connections to remove all of the parts that you do not require, you should include the switch so that it can be switched off, to avoid inconvenient motion.

pirlem

Joined Feb 7, 2022
ESD Discharge?ElectroStaticDischarge? Not really, for two reasons: First, this is a closed low voltage circuit, no place for much charge to build up, and second, there is nothing rubbing that would tend to cause a static buildup.

It is possible that when you revise the connections to remove all of the parts that you do not require, you should include the switch so that it can be switched off, to avoid inconvenient motion.
thanks, that's what I thought, I'll use the same switch:)
Do you know if I should leave that capacitor that came connected to the two pins of the motor?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
thanks, that's what I thought, I'll use the same switch:)
Do you know if I should leave that capacitor that came connected to the two pins of the motor?
I suggest leaving the capacitor in place. It will reduce any radiated noise from the motor. BUT you will need to connect the solar cell positive to the side with the capacitor positive terminal, or else the capacitor will fail eventually. (In hours, probably)

pirlem

Joined Feb 7, 2022
I suggest leaving the capacitor in place. It will reduce any radiated noise from the motor. BUT you will need to connect the solar cell positive to the side with the capacitor positive terminal, or else the capacitor will fail eventually. (In hours, probably)
ok got it - thank you!

pirlem

Joined Feb 7, 2022
What about:
Do the electronics work when powered from batteries?
No, it doesn't run on batteries either :/... but as I write this, I have already discarded the rest of the components and I am soldering direct connections from the motor to the solar panel, with an intermediate switch

btw how interesting what you write about ESD. they are definitely phenomena to take into account

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No, it doesn't run on batteries either :/... but as I write this, I have already discarded the rest of the components and I am soldering direct connections from the motor to the solar panel, with an intermediate switch

btw how interesting what you write about ESD. they are definitely phenomena to take into account
My comment was about happenings during normal operation, which does not involve people messing with it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thank you so very much for sharing the results with us!
And that is really quite a work of art.
Not what I was immagining, but mch better looking.