Slayer Exciter Tesla Coil Problem.

acko04

Joined Oct 7, 2020
Hello my dear friends,my brothers pls help me,i have terriable problem with my slayer exciter Tesla coil,I tried everything to find a solution, but in vain, so I have to ask for your help.Namely, this Tesla tower, I can't solve for almost a year.

Material
Transistor : D2499
https://datasheetspdf.com/mobile-pdf/1030941/ToshibaSemiconductor/D2499/1
Resistor : 3,2 k Om
Secondary winding : 0.3-0.4 mm
Secondary height : 21cm
Secondary diameter : 5cm
Primary winding : 5-6 turns ; 1 square millimeters
Power supply : 15 Volt DC ; 4 amps

There's nothing I didn't try, I rewind the primary,I reversed the polarity of primary , changed the contact points on the transistor, changed the resistors, but nothing helped, the circuit is perfectly connected, there is no error, I tried to add a diode, then two series-connected diodes, then an LED , however, it still doesn't work, when I touch the top of the tower, nothing happens to the LED, it always lights up with the same intensity. I measured the current with a measuring instrument that consumes Tesla's tower, but it's a miserable 70mA.There is almost no electricity.I live in an apartment on the first floor, I guess that's not a problem.The apartments do not have grounding, the neutral wire is connected to the grounding contact.I tried to add 2 series connected diodes between the base and the emitter, the cathode to the base and the anode to the emitter, however again nothing, i added the led diode but it didn't work again. Nothing works, nor is there a spark at the top of the tower, nor are fluorescent lamps lit.
3124545 (1).pngWP_20201007_18_29_52_Pro.jpgWP_20201007_18_30_56_Pro.jpgWP_20201007_18_30_56_Pro.jpgWP_20201007_18_31_23_Pro.jpgWP_20201005_19_15_19_Pro.jpgWP_20201007_18_32_18_Pro.jpg

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I'm not surprised that it doesn't work. There is no feedback loop in the circuit so how is it supposed to oscilllate?
This is the trouble shooting tips from the author of a construction site, argha halder . Read his last line!

"Step 23: Troubleshooting Tips
So in the next few paragraphs I will try to solve a few of the problems you might be facing while making it.

Try using a heat sink to reduce the heating issue. Or use a transistor with higher current rating. Or try putting TWO transistor in parallel, this will divide the current, and reduce heating issue. Or use a resistor of higher value.
Problem 1: MY CIRCUIT DOESN'T WORK YOU LIAR! YOUR EXISTENCE IS JUST AS UNWANTED AS THIS INSTRUCTABLE.

Solution: Calm down because I don't have either the patience or the sadistic nature in me to make someone waste hours of their youth to make a fake circuit. Let's slow down and get along with the rest of the problems. ( This happened to me countless times on youtube, people blaming me for their circuit not working.)

Problem 2: The Circuit doesn't work, would you help me fix it?

Solution: This is a better way to express your opinions and needs. Alright the circuit may not be working due to several reason. Did you make your connections properly according to the schematic? Check it. Did you properly remove the insulation from the ends of the coil? Because a lot of times people don't do it and magically their circuit doesn't work. Did you insert the transistor in the right orientation? Check to make sure the flat side is facing you, then the pin layout will be Emitter , Base, Collector from left to right . Did you use an NPN transistor? If you use PNP you will have to change the layout.

Problem 3: My transistor heats up too much!

Problem 4: My LED doesn't light up.

Solution: Its alright if the LED doesn't light up, mine didn't either.

Problem 5: It doesn't light up the CFL.

Solution: Try flipping the wires from the primary coil connection.

Problem 6: It still doesn't work.

Solution: Life is difficult, and it is okay to accept defeat sometimes."

Last edited:

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Hello my dear friends,my brothers pls help me,i have terriable problem with my slayer exciter Tesla coil,I tried everything to find a solution, but in vain, so I have to ask for your help.
Use metal foil pad under coil, connected with minus of power supply
to increase parasitic capacitance and thus feedback current.
1602115687525.png

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The "slayer" circuit is a poor approach to anything and it is not a Tesla coil system at all, not in any way. It might oscillate for some LUCKY people some of the time but there is no reason that it should always start and oscillate. There are a number of published circuits and the slayer is not one of the good ones.
So that is the start of your problem.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The coil (secondary) itself is a big inductor having a value like 1.9mH for example.
knowing that value is important. So finding the value of the secondary will allow you to work backward or adjust secondary
value by removing turns. The (primary)'s exact value is found using an equation to find the best coefficient of coupling.
When the resonance of the secondary is found using a function generator or other methods the exact exciter frequency
will be a multiple of of the output. For example at 1/4 wavelength; the exciter is 18kHz at the primary and the output is 4.5kHz.

The circuit is built to maximize the output at resonance. The circuit does present a challenge. I do like Slayer coils, some are outstanding,
Whereas some circuits are so far away from the original Tesla candlestick that the output does not operate same or replicate the original.
Remember Tesla used capacitors, a sine wave being a start however a Tesla exciter uses a pulse forming network to produce an impulse
wave shape, J. Bluer (aka Slayer) sells coils. He demonstrates the coil using a sine that is all. The Tesla circuit not included is up to the developer.
"The slayer circuit" NO he made low cost slayer coils and they were good ! They roped him into the so called slayer exciter and confused the whole project, he made low cost coils available for education. Other's made kits for music and burning things and they did not have enough impulse.
The other kits do not show simply what a Tesla wave is and how it differs from classical EM wave and it's mode of transmission.
The slayer coil allowed educators to quickly put together and demonstrate basic impulse with rotary spark gap, hair pin, 1 wire mode ect.

One method of tuning is deriving the longest spark between two metal spheres ( or between aluminum having a large enough radius ).
The gap controls the threshold enabling future stages to work. It was common to have 5 or more stages.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Note that the description in post#7 tells us that there is a need to know the inductance and right there that should steer one away from this circuit.The whole concept is that the feedback to the base somehow comes from either current in the secondary developing a base voltage feedback, or capacitance to the primary is enough to provide feedback and start the oscillation. Both ot those theories are rather weak.
The history of the inventor is interesting and tells us that there is just one arrangement that has a chance of working. And given that there is no clue, it is very unlikely that this circuit would ever work. For a start, consider that the value of the base bias resistor has a range of about 1:15. That alone shows that the circuit is poorly defined and the means of operation is not understood.

So I still classify this "slayer" circuit as a very poor concept and it should be listed as an example of a bad choice of design concepts.

To have a chance of a circuit working add another coil to provide feedback that does not depend on uncontrolled variables. THat feedback winding would be connected in series with that resistor that feeds the base of the transistor. It may be required to reverse the connections of the feedback coil if one connection does not work. The feedback coil can be possibly three turns on top of the primary coil.

acko04

Joined Oct 7, 2020
The transistor is completely correct, and the reason is that I made another circuit, in which I used the same transistor, the question is this circuit that drives the flyback transformer.Sparks from flyback, are about 0.7cm, at 15V. Seen from left to right, from the front of the transistor where the transistor mark is,
1.Base
2.Collector
3.Emitter
MIn5m.png
I tried what you told me with aluminum foil, minus contact, from the power supply goes to the foil size 50x50 cm, but again it does not work.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
YES!!! The circuit in post #9 was, and still is, a classic, even back in the 4-pin tube-days. The only difference from what I suggested is in the bias resistor arrangement and values. This could robably work quite well using that coil from the original effort with the feedback winding added.

acko04

Joined Oct 7, 2020
The transistor isn't dead, it's completely correct, I switch it to flyback and it works without a problem, I try the same circuit only on the Tesla coil and it doesn't work, i get 0.7mm spark with 15 volt.flyback works, Tesla coil doesn't work.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
i add feedback winding on tesla coil and use #9 circuit,but again dont work
First, try it with the feedback winding connections exchanged. It will only work one way.
The second thing to try is adjusting the base bias. The circuit is a proven oscillator and so if the two requirements of adequate feedback and enough gain are satisfied then it should work.

Last edited:

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
The dielectric, correct. sound, correct.
The various wave characteristics shown in the pictures, correct
schematic, correct. equations, correct.
The pictures on this website suggest it is correct so it might be possible.
http://www.teralab.co.uk/Electronics/Tesla_Coil_1/Tesla_Coil_1_Page1.htm
March 1995 wireless world. It is good reading because the internet has so much misinformation.
The secondary circuit can be designed using this calculator
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc/javatc.html
the article shows specs such as a 7500V 60mA transformer. BY700 rectifier diode
p16 https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wireless-World/90s/Wireless-World-1995-03-S-OCR.pdf

This is lethal it absolutely requires good safety practices, please be careful !

Last edited:

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017

acko04

Joined Oct 7, 2020
Will someone really help me, I tried everything you wrote me, nothing helped, is it possible for everyone to make a slayer exciter without any problems, only I can't...

This is the smallest Tesla coil ever recorded. And it works without problems. It works for everyone, only it won't work for me.
m0nwk_mains_2.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That is an interesting picture but we see no hint of what the actual circuit might be. So it might be a Tesla coil, it might be a power oscillator, or it may even be a complete fake, with a high voltage neon sign transformer hidden outside the picture.
And certainly there are high voltage circuits that are not Tesla coils. There are a few of them available on the "schematicsforfree" website, but it takes a bit to find them there.

acko04

Joined Oct 7, 2020
slayer exciter is most simple tesla coil scheme in the world,scheme works in population,many people makes this circuit,my brother make the smallest tesla coil with this circuit,and works,this is not Fake.