SIP and DIP sockets from China/ebay

lowrise4

Joined Sep 6, 2010
I need to get some breakable SIP sockets as well as non-breakable DIP IC sockets. In some of the sizes I need, from ebay (China/Hong Kong seller) is a fraction of the prices on Digi-Key. But over time, will the contacts on these inexpensive sockets be more likely to seize the parts (making removal difficult) than the better brand-name ones from Digi-Key (for which the datasheets usually specify the metals used...brass, beryllium copper, tin, gold plating, etc).

I don't want to save $20 on my project only to have delicate parts (ICs, transistors, LEDs) impossible to remove without breaking - a few years down the road. Or maybe the ebay ones are no worse than the brand name ones?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
The function of a socket to enable the extraction and replacement of components may become compromised by lowering the cost of the socket perhaps by reducing the amount of gold coatings on contacts. But it rather depends on how you expect your design to be used in practice, many of these sockets spec durability of 50 insertions. Usually you wouldn't expect an IC to be replaced very often in normal use. There may be a cold weld effect over time but not many designs have an active life to worry about that these days.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Long term reliability of DIP socket contacts is an old question. What is the product, and what is the environment it will operate in (high tmperature or humidity, salt fog, rapid thermal cycles. etc.)?

One approach is strictly financial - what is the total cost to diagnose and repair one failed product?

? < $20 < ?

ak

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I don't believe I have ever seen an IC that is stuck in a socket. My experience is that the contact will corrode or weaken with time causing the connection to fail open. Wiggling the part in the socket usually fixes the problem -- at least for a while.