show your picture,one by one

Thread Starter

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
157
Here are pictures of the puzzles that Wookie made for the granddaughters for Christmas. Just one more of his many talents. :D Also, notice the table top (that he refinished last summer). So now you know some of what else, besides the forum, that keeps him occupied.
I want to see you ,madam:D
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
Here are pictures of the puzzles that Wookie made for the granddaughters for Christmas. Just one more of his many talents. :D Also, notice the table top (that he refinished last summer). So now you know some of what else, besides the forum, that keeps him occupied.
Good to hear from you 1chance! I realized I hadn't seen you post in a while, I was hoping you were okay :)

Those are some nifty little puzzles! How is the Sgt. doing these days? Recovering well from his surgery I hope!

Happy New Year 1chance. Hope to see more of your contributions during the coming year :)

Best wishes,
Matt
 

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
5,182
A not-so-recent, but I think people don't change too much after their 40s.

I like that each type of piece has as many replicas as the number of its holes.
 

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
46
A not-so-recent, but I think people don't change too much after their 40s.

I like that each type of piece has as many replicas as the number of its holes.
For what it's worth, I still own and wear the shorts & tee shirt in the posted picture!!! Probably time to update my wardrobe! :D:D And yes, I am past my 40's.

Regarding the puzzle, yes it is developmentally interesting in many regards as it teaches number, color, height, and shape. One of the g-daughters arranged it choo-choo train style instead of as an interlocking quad.
 

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
2,689
I've ordered some SMD parts, and now I'm testing a setup, which let me work without "looking" at the circuit.

I used an old drillpress stand, a supercheap webcam, and some magnifying glasses. The software for the webcam lets me change the resolution from pretty low to 1280. Attached it a small flasher, with 640x480, 800x600 and 1280x960 resolution. I had to change the images from BMP to JPG, since the last 1280x600.bmp file ended on 3.5MB

This is the 640x480 JPG image:

 

Attachments

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
2,806
Nice idea.
Here's what I'm playing with at the moment:

It's the prototype for a model train, powered by a constant voltage on the tracks with off pulses for data. It will use coils under the train and small permanent magnets on the track for propulsion. The capacitor and diode at the left keep the PIC powered during the pulses. I've just managed to get it to measure the pulse width correctly and now need to make a robust protocol to send real data (there will be more than one train on the track and I have to cope with when the wheels lose contact with the tracks). 61 out of 512 program memory used so far.
 

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
2,390
I visited there about a year ago. I also took a field there when I was in high school. Also visited the Battle Ship Alabama in Moblie.
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
I was a little disappointed. I was a control room guy, and I wanted to see what the control room on a 100 y/o ship looked like. No dice. Got to see the machine shop though, kinda made up for it.
 

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
5,029
What control room strantor? Engine room's?

By that time I suspect vessels had none. That is what I've (not) seen at least.

Wheren't you allowed to enter?
 

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
4,390
Engine Order Telegraph ... controlled from the bridge. Engine room controls were air cooled and manually operated under watchful eyes.

I'm surprised they didn't see two fine sailors like yourself and hand you a holystone and yell "turn to" on that deck. :D
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
What control room strantor? Engine room's?

By that time I suspect vessels had none. That is what I've (not) seen at least.

Wheren't you allowed to enter?
Well I suppose my terminology might be a little off, being a bubblehead. What I meant is the bridge. I wanted to see their sonar and radar displays, navigational devices (whatever they might be), charts, etc.
 

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
5,029
Based on what I had seen in the past, sonar and radar repeaters, lots of them, where not in the bridge but somewhere well under deck.

The chart room was usually behind the bridge or integrated to it but secluded with curtains to keep the bridge in the dark all the time in night hours.

I do not know how things are now in warships but merchant vessels have chnaged a lot.

Nice picture.
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
More than anything though, I wanted to see their fire control (weapons) "system," whatever that may have consisted of. After hearing now that what I expected to be all in the same room may have been all over the ship, I suppose there's no reason to expect that fire control would be in the bridge. Also I suppose it would have been a little anticlimactic. Probably consisted of a few range finder wheels and some sort of windage and elevation device.
 

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
2,390
In these sort of "museum" pieces, such as BS Texas, much of that stuff has been removed. Some of the pieces are mearly mock-ups of the orignial equipment, built from old drawings. Many of these ships fall into disrepair before being brought back. Not sure if that has happened to this one, but it is typical.
 
Top