Second order passive low pass filter design

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
No. That’s a first order filter. You can tell because the slope is 6dB/octave and the phase shift is 90°.
From your component values (100nH and 2nF) it doesn’t become second order until above 11MHz.
Hi Ian,

That is typo. Yes, Its is first order filter. Thank you for the correction.

As I know that, for the first order RLC low pass filter: The frequency will cut-off after the slope of -3dB and the phase-shift is 45°. So, these are achieved in the simulations.

Please could you see now again and tell me that is that circuit is used to filter the signal above 80Khz by using those components values.

Last edited:

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
Please could you see now again and tell me that is that circuit is used to filter the signal above 80Khz by using those components values.
Please, specify/repeat your question because terms like "...filter the signal..." and "..above 80 kHz..." and "those components..." is by far not enough to design a lowpass filter.

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
Please, specify/repeat your question because terms like "...filter the signal..." and "..above 80 kHz..." and "those components..." is by far not enough to design a lowpass filter.
OK..

My question is:

Is the above circuit (which is in Post #99) correct to filter the signal above the 80Khz?.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
OK..

My question is:

Is the above circuit (which is in Post #99) correct to filter the signal above the 80Khz?.
Sorry again - this is not enough.
For designing a lowpass filter we need
* End of the passband: Very often, but not neccessarily, the frequency where the gain is 3dB lower than for DC
* Attenuation requirements: What is the frequency region which must be suppressed (attenuated) by (at least) how many dB?
* This last requirement determines the minimum order of the filter

pinkyponky

Joined Nov 28, 2019
* End of the passband: Very often, but not neccessarily, the frequency where the gain is 3dB lower than for DC
* Attenuation requirements: What is the frequency region which must be suppressed (attenuated) by (at least) how many dB?
My requirement is that if the frequency is above 100khz that should be attenuate. This is only the requirement I know.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
Post a circuit diagram of the amplifiers.
Details of the signal levels and frequencies.
The calculated expected noise level and acceptable noise levels after the filter.
Also, any other information that you may have regarding the project so that we can give a meaningful answer rather than keep guessing.

E

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
This is post #116. These questions were asked in post #2.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Your RLC filter schematic shows no output point.
Why 100kHz and why LC? For audio filters an opamp has been used for 50 years. One opamp can make a 3rd-order filter.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Your RLC filter schematic shows no output point.
Why 100kHz and why LC? For audio filters an opamp has been used for 50 years. One opamp can make a 3rd-order filter.
It doesn’t show a load resistance either. Probably after 216 posts we might get a spec, but I’m not hopeful.