RF excitation of an antenna

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
Hi. Is the voltage applied to an antenna, any antenna whatsoever, always alternating? That is, the voltage going from say positive, then negative, then positive. Thanks. Rich

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The voltage between the antenna feed and ground may or may not have a DC component. It would make no difference.
If the voltage varies between -5V and +5V it would produce the result as if the voltage varied between 100V and 110V. In both cases the AC component is 10V and that is the bit which matters.

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
Are there any products or systems in the wireless world, where the rf excitation to the antenna is not ac? But, varying dc?

I suppose at the receiving end, the signal from the antenna will always be ac? Well, I know, it is. :)

Last edited:

richard3194

Joined Oct 18, 2011
One may ask why I query what signal is suitable to be fed to an antenna. Well, I'm looking at Pulse Amplitude Modulation. Where there are two types: Single polarity & Double polarity. Not entirely sure what the consequences are for modulation of an rf carrier. I suppose, none. Both produce the same result in terms of modulation. It seems.

Edit. I think I'll start a new thread on PAM modulation.

Last edited:

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Are there any products or systems in the wireless world, where the rf excitation to the antenna is not ac? But, varying dc?

I suppose at the receiving end, the signal from the antenna will always be ac? Well, I know, it is. :)
Isn't varying DC called AC? Anyway, you need a time-variant voltage to excite an antenna.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Sure, the transmit antenna could be a tuned coil from the dc power supply to a transistor collector like was common some older RF remote controls. RF with a DC component passes through the coil/antenna but only RF is transmitted.