Replacing a dual DC source with a Battery source

jinu05

Joined Sep 24, 2017
Hi folks
PLease refer to the two schematics below. I am trying to simulate them in Multisim. The circuits are simply to to show the working of AD736 RMS to DC converter chip. The schematic/circuit 2 uses a dual power source one for +5V and another for -5V and this works fine and the output gives me the RMS value as expected. But the schematic/circuit 1 fails miserably. Here all i have done compared to the circuit 2 is to replace the individual DC sources with a single battery source and use that for getting both the +5V and the -ve 5V. Am i missing something in circuit 1 ? Please advice
schematic.jpg

jinu05

Joined Sep 24, 2017
Thanks Mr Chips I tried changing it 100Ω, but makes no difference, the output keeps jumping all over the place before it finally gives the convergance error.

jinu05

Joined Sep 24, 2017
Folks any advice on this. Is the circuit design wrong or is it an issue with the simulation software. I wanted to avoid using two power sources to get +5v and -5V and this seemed like a good solution as it was mentioned on the data sheet of AD736 also.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I see no ground connection in Circuit 1
The simulation will give flaky results without a ground reference.
You had U1's common connected to ground in Circuit 2, why did you remove it in Circuit 1?

jinu05

Joined Sep 24, 2017
Thanks folks. My problem is that multisim does not have any of the Charge Pump Chips so I cannot continue with the simulation. Any idea where i can get the component details for ICL7660?

Crutschow i did not remove the ground i simply moved it to virtual. Since in the first ciruit there is no external ground i had to use the virtual ground or common point where the voltage will be zero.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Crutschow i did not remove the ground i simply moved it to virtual.
That's not the point.
I see no ground symbol on Circuit 1.
You must have a ground symbol connected somewhere to the circuit (the IC com is the logical place for that) for the simulator to operate properly.
And in the real world the circuit will also need to be connected to some ground point.

jinu05

Joined Sep 24, 2017
I tried putting the ground at the common point, but the simulation still goes hay wire. I also tried using the TLE2426, but that also did not help and though the convergence error went away the readings were all wrong. the below is the circuit using the TLE2426
VGRND.jpg