replacing a broken male 1/4 jack with a female?

VietDo94

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Hi, I have one of those vox headphone amps that plugs directly into your guitar, the problem is the way it's built is very unpractical since it is a big piece of plastic jutting out the side of your guitar and won't even plug into some guitars. The other day the thing snapped off at the plug and someone on the guitar forums told me to try and rehouse it and change the male to a female, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on that as I've never done it before? He also mentioned something about swapping out the pots for panel mount ones. If anyone could give me help with this it'd be greatly appreciated since I'd like to have a pocket amp I could actually put in my pocket instead of ordering another one that will just snap eventually anyway.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This looks like a perfect place for an Altoids tin! I'm not completely sure you can find a 1/4" female socket that will fit inside an Altoids tin, and certainly you don't have to use one as an enclosure. But as long as you enjoy the mints, the tin is free. The tin will be electrically connected to the cable shield.

I'd be inclined to mount that PCB, inside whatever enclosure you use, in a way that the stock pots are used as-is. The project gets more complex if you start breaking into the PCB. It's doable, but if those pots seemed OK to you, I wouldn't bother to mess with them.

VietDo94

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Did your amp look like this before it broke?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=COXJxfLQ3rwCFRRo7AodIWQABw

If so, I would simply buy a 1/4" plug and enough wire to reach from the guitar to your pocket, connect the plug wire to the two dangling wires on your broken unit, put the broken unit back in its case with some hot glue or whatever, and get down!
Yea I was thinking about doing something like that, maybe I'll get a guitar cable, butcher one end and attach it permenantly to the amp so I'll have a cable extending from it