replacing a broken male 1/4 jack with a female?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by VietDo94, Feb 21, 2014.

  1. VietDo94

    Thread Starter New Member

    Feb 21, 2014
    Hi, I have one of those vox headphone amps that plugs directly into your guitar, the problem is the way it's built is very unpractical since it is a big piece of plastic jutting out the side of your guitar and won't even plug into some guitars. The other day the thing snapped off at the plug and someone on the guitar forums told me to try and rehouse it and change the male to a female, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on that as I've never done it before? He also mentioned something about swapping out the pots for panel mount ones. If anyone could give me help with this it'd be greatly appreciated since I'd like to have a pocket amp I could actually put in my pocket instead of ordering another one that will just snap eventually anyway.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  2. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    This looks like a perfect place for an Altoids tin! I'm not completely sure you can find a 1/4" female socket that will fit inside an Altoids tin, and certainly you don't have to use one as an enclosure. But as long as you enjoy the mints, the tin is free. The tin will be electrically connected to the cable shield.

    I'd be inclined to mount that PCB, inside whatever enclosure you use, in a way that the stock pots are used as-is. The project gets more complex if you start breaking into the PCB. It's doable, but if those pots seemed OK to you, I wouldn't bother to mess with them.
  3. tracecom

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. VietDo94

    Thread Starter New Member

    Feb 21, 2014
    Yea I was thinking about doing something like that, maybe I'll get a guitar cable, butcher one end and attach it permenantly to the amp so I'll have a cable extending from it