Remote control by location (PIC in Oshonsoft)

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Adding a crystal, you have to change the bits of course, to enable external oscillator crystal instead of internal oscillator. You also need the small capacitors on each leg to ground, around 22pF to 27pF in most cases. Make sure the frequency declaration in the code matches the crystal frequency.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Adding a crystal, you have to change the bits of course, to enable external oscillator crystal instead of internal oscillator. You also need the small capacitors on each leg to ground, around 22pF to 27pF in most cases. Make sure the frequency declaration in the code matches the crystal frequency.
Hi S,
I wasn't happy with the XTL sitting on top of the PIC, in case it affected the running. Was this unfounded?
Having reclaimed the components from a previous PCB, I cut out the Crystal/cap section from the old board and stuck it on PCB5 (Laest) After a few glitches, and changing the program setings to suit Crystal, it now works and the first test was promising.

$COMPDEG 301.42W
$COMPDEG 301.42W
$COMPDEG 301.44W
$COMPDEG 301.43W
$COMPDEG 297.17W
$COMPDEG 27.94W
$COMPDEG 30.51W
$COMPDEG 16.15W
$COMPDEG 331.54W
$COMPDEG 314.72W
$COMPDEG 18.32W
$COMPDEG 40.97W
C

Last edited:

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
Update of the Serial input from 4431 COMP.
$COMPDEG,013,W
$COMPDEG,032,W
$COMPDEG,031,W
$COMPDEG,025,W
$COMPDEG,007,W
$COMPDEG,353,W
$COMPDEG,350,W

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I'm going through the whole system as a refresher, as I get mixed up with all of the programs/PCBs.

BASE:
Since moving the Compass to the 4431 PIC, I've noticed that the BASE will get QEIDEG and the COMPDEG via the serial connection between the 2x PICs.
The 4620 will select the 4431 with MUX, and both QEIDEG and COMPDEG will be inputted.
Can I assume that the PARSE process wil separate them and work ok?
C.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
I don't see why not. The parsing scheme is designed to be flexible and work with any string values.
Hi JT,
Ah, good. I thought so, but thanks for the affirmation.

EDIT: In case there is an issue such as timing, there is another track between the PICs, that could be used as a switch.
C.

Last edited:

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
I thought I'd post notes on each of the 4x programs, to help me remember. I'll update here.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
PROGRAM DIFFERENCES

BASE:

18LF4620: BORI>REMOTE-BIRO<REMOTE-JOYSTICKS-QEIDEG<4431-COMPDEG<4431.
18F4431: QEIDEG from Inc enc>4620. SPI COMPDEG>4620

REMOTE:
18LF4620: BORI<BASE-BIRO>BASE-COMPDEG>4620-MOTOR/SERVO DRIVE .
18F4431: SPI COMPDEG>4620.
C.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
UPDATE:
With the compass now on the 4431 along with the QEIDEG incremental encoder.
All 6x inputs are working, for the first time :) :)
I can see lots of corrections, maybe in timing or settings, so still plodding on.
Cheers, C.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
At last here is the latest PCB (7) So from now all files should have PCB7 in the title.
If anyone would like to check them before etching, I would be grateful.
C

Attachments

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Your 3.3V regulators needed that heat spreader pad underneath them for heat dissipation. However, the tab that is soldered to the pad is the output voltage, and must be isolated from the rest of the circuits. I don't see separated heat spreaders under the NCP1117 regulators. It looks like it is all one copper pour.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Your 3.3V regulators needed that heat spreader pad underneath them for heat dissipation. However, the tab that is soldered to the pad is the output voltage, and must be isolated from the rest of the circuits. I don't see separated heat spreaders under the NCP1117 regulators. It looks like it is all one copper pour.
Hi S,
I forgot :) I'll add them (3x) I intend to add vertical heatsinks as necessary, thanks.
C.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi S,
#810 updated with amended PCB7, thanks.
C

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
Hi,
Does anyone think that the route of the 3.3V to the Pickit3 under the PIC and along a narrow signal track could cause a problem?
C

Attachments

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
If you power only MCU from PICkit3 then there is no problems because MCU doesn't draw much power. If there is no other big loads to drive then it should work ok.

camerart

Joined Feb 25, 2013
If you power only MCU from PICkit3 then there is no problems because MCU doesn't draw much power. If there is no other big loads to drive then it should work ok.
Hi T,
Thanks, but I meant the other way around. The 3.3REG is powering the PIC also Pickit3 as required, I wondered if the narrowing of the track could be a problem.
C.