Relay Switch Suggestion

ghan7213

Joined Aug 3, 2016
Hello;

I have a question and your help would mean alot to me.

I want to install an x-ray indicator lamp that would use a relay switch. I have attached the schematics diagram of the circuit.
As you can see that pin 3 and 4 of the x-ray unit along with the 24 V DC input signal goes to the relay input , I assume the common and the indicator lamp is attached at the output end.

I don't know what kind of relay switch I should use it. Can you suggest any switch and the input/output port connections.

Thank you for your time

Ghani

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If the relay coil is rated for 24 V and draws 0.1 A DC, then any switch rated for at least 0.2 A DC should work. Size, shape, pushbutton, toggle, waterproof, whatever - that's al up to you and the environment the switch will be in.

Similar rules apply to the relay contacts. They must be rated for the lamp voltage and should be rated for at least twice the lamp current.

What are your circuit wiring skills? If low, then you can get an industrial relay that has wiring or screw terminals in stead of printed circuit board pins. If this is going to get a lot of use, consider a solid state relay; an SSR has no physical contacts that can wear out over time.

What does the "*2" on the drawing indicate?

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
24vdc relay is very common, but the required contact rating is needed what is the nature of the lamp supply and the indicator lamp itself?
Or is every thing 'prepared by the user'?
Max.

ghan7213

Joined Aug 3, 2016
If the relay coil is rated for 24 V and draws 0.1 A DC, then any switch rated for at least 0.2 A DC should work. Size, shape, pushbutton, toggle, waterproof, whatever - that's al up to you and the environment the switch will be in.

Similar rules apply to the relay contacts. They must be rated for the lamp voltage and should be rated for at least twice the lamp current.

What are your circuit wiring skills? If low, then you can get an industrial relay that has wiring or screw terminals in stead of printed circuit board pins. If this is going to get a lot of use, consider a solid state relay; an SSR has no physical contacts that can wear out over time.

What does the "*2" on the drawing indicate?

ak
Thank you very much for your reply. This circuit was provided by the vendor of the x-ray tube. We bought a lamp that draws current less than 0.1A. Here is the link to the lamp

http://www.walkerindustrial.com/IDEC-Components-p/ld6a-1dqb-r.htm

Can you suggest a relay that we should use. It has to be a 6 pin relay switch, I think. 2 pins for the DC power supply, 2 pins for the x-ray signal pins and two for the lamp indicator. Am I right?
We would prefer industrial relay switch.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can you suggest a relay that we should use. It has to be a 6 pin relay switch,
I don't think so.

I'm on my Linux computer and don't know how to do drawings, so I'll try this in words.

Find a 24 volt DC supply and its ground, or, "common" point.
Connect 24 volts DC to the relay coil.
Connect the other end of the relay coil to pin 3 of the "x-ray on" device.
Connect pin 4 of the x-ray on device to ground.

Connect 24 volts to one connector on the lamp.
Connect the other connector of the lamp to a normally open contact on the relay.
Connect the wiper of the relay to ground.

That uses a 4 pin relay.
I am assuming the x-ray "on" connection is just a switch.
If I assumed wrong, don't follow my instructions.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The pin 3 and pin 4 x-ray signal outputs probably are internal relay contacts. If you can find out their ratings, they might be able to drive your lamp directly.

ak

ghan7213

Joined Aug 3, 2016
I don't think so.

I'm on my Linux computer and don't know how to do drawings, so I'll try this in words.

Find a 24 volt DC supply and its ground, or, "common" point.
Connect 24 volts DC to the relay coil.
Connect the other end of the relay coil to pin 3 of the "x-ray on" device.
Connect pin 4 of the x-ray on device to ground.

Connect 24 volts to one connector on the lamp.
Connect the other connector of the lamp to a normally open contact on the relay.
Connect the wiper of the relay to ground.

That uses a 4 pin relay.
I am assuming the x-ray "on" connection is just a switch.
If I assumed wrong, don't follow my instructions.
Awesome, someone suggested me to use a 5 pin relay. Do you think, 5 pin relay might also work

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
As pin 3 and 4 have polarity specified, most likely open collector output.
There are specific relays packaged with the 24vdc supply, specific to that application.
I'll try to find a link.
Have one in front of me to take a picture.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
An aside to #12 for HVAC.

I use these with great success equipping baseboard electric heaters to low voltage thermostats.
Electric heat thermostats, are often inaccurate and troublesome.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Electric heat thermostats, are often inaccurate and troublesome.
I know. That's why I made my own out of an LM723 and a 10K thermistor. About 1979, I think. That was a long time before I learned about SSR's, so I just used a triac. See my blog if you care to see how I did it.

We have one electric baseboard heater on the porch. Ergonomic -- No. nothing fancy, but used the standard turn/twist/break knob and put a real switch ahead of it. Now, on/off and set and you generally don't have to hop up and down to find the right temperature.