RC Low-pass filter for O2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Isn't it illegal to tamper with pollution controls on a car? If the car emits black smoke when you floor the gas pedal then adding a lowpass filter might fool the system to ignore the excessive pollution. But if a cop sees the black smoke then you will be in trouble. Replace the catalytic converter so that it does what it is supposed to do, or replace the car.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Isn't it illegal to tamper with pollution controls on a car? If the car emits black smoke when you floor the gas pedal then adding a lowpass filter might fool the system to ignore the excessive pollution. But if a cop sees the black smoke then you will be in trouble. Replace the catalytic converter so that it does what it is supposed to do, or replace the car.
If the TS does not live in california that is not an issue. Also, the car seems to be running OK, but not the diagnostics. So does it make sense to spend $750 on an older car to replace the computer because one function is not quite right???

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Don't all States and Provinces now have important pollution laws and tests? China and India have extreme pollution.
Yes, if the car fails an emissions test then it should be fixed or junked.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Don't all States and Provinces now have important pollution laws and tests? China and India have extreme pollution.
Yes, if the car fails an emissions test then it should be fixed or junked.
If you are burdened with more money than you know what to do with then you are welcome to junk your cars as often as you like. Others may not be in that same position. And please understand that many of these regulatiuons are created by those individuals who not only believe that they are far wiser than the rest of us, but they are also pushing their personal agenda.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hi

I have a question I have a honda accord 2004 2.4l Manual, I have the code P0141 I have put several sensors and it does not work and the line is fine but I do not have the catalyst. I can do those steps so that the witness goes off?
P0141 is for the oxygen sensor AFTER the catalytic convertor. If you removed the convertor, both the sensor before where it was and the one after where it was will read nearly the same. The ECM is expecting the down stream(second) one to have a much different value. If both sensors are reading the same it will set the code.

So i've tried this as per my diagram above with a 4.7uF capacitor and a 1Mohm carbon film resistor. It has got rid of the catalytic convertor efficiency error but now it gives an error saying the O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage. Any ideas what could be wrong? have I used too high a resistor or capacitor maybe?
Your resistor is likely too high. What's likely happening is miniscule leakage current of the ECU input circuit causes a voltage drop across the 1M resistor, pushing the DC value out of expected range. I was worried about this, so I used a 1000uF (yes, 1mF) capacitor and a 4.7k resistor - literally 1/200 the resistance yet the exact same time constant. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No, finding more things to "fear-monger" about, as an excuse to
create a new tax or "Regulatory-Agency" is a personal agenda.
These are highly profitable games that are SOP for politicians.
EXACTLY!!! And now we see the very latest panic mongering about how much more drastic measures must be taken.
But I offer a question: Could it be that it is a reduction in the amount of oxygen that has increased the concentration of the other gasses?? Oxygen does not just generate from nowhere, it is produced by plants a lot like those that are being deforested so very much, and burned up in all of those fires. Green trees and other plants are what use up carbon dioxide and deliver pure oxygen, the stuff that we breath. And if we run out of that it will not matter if the planet gets a bit hotter.
So just possibly those promoting panic should be made to answer some hard questions.
It is not so much the taxes as it is the taking away of so very many freedoms that bothers me. Not hat I like taxes, just that they are not the worst part of the problem.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
P0141 is for the oxygen sensor AFTER the catalytic convertor. If you removed the convertor, both the sensor before where it was and the one after where it was will read nearly the same. The ECM is expecting the down stream(second) one to have a much different value. If both sensors are reading the same it will set the code.
Now that's interesting. My wife has a nice little 99 GMC Tahoe out of Arizona. It uses 4 sensors in the exhaust. Two upstream and two downstream of the catalytic converters. She has the 5.7 L engine and that little truck is sweet. Anyway two up and two down from the two converters. I guess the ECU looks for a difference as you mentioned.

Ron

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Computer runs a regular test routine where it temporarily changes the Engine's Fuel-Mixture
and then monitors the response time, and percent of change, of the 0-2 Sensor.
This creates an efficiency test of the Catalytic-Converter.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Well this opens up a bucket of worms ........
It's EXTREMELY difficult, even with concrete PROOF,
to demonstrate to someone that they have been duped , or made a fool of.
They will deny it to their last breath.
So, I won't try to change your mind.
I will only suggest that You conduct your own investigation, and stop listening to "Authority-Figures".

"Well Everybody Knows That" is the most dangerous statement ever made.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Well this opens up a bucket of worms ......
I suppose it does, but "fear mongering" opened that bucket.
I will only suggest that You conduct your own investigation, and stop listening to "Authority-Figures".
That's very condescending of you to suggest I only get my information from "Authority Figures".
If you are referring to climate change, I believe the scientific evidence is more than sufficient to show that it is happening due to man-made changes of the atmosphere from burning carbon fuels.
If you think that evidence is only due to "authority-figures" than who do you use for your information?

Most of the "fear mongering" I have seen recently comes from the far right-wing political and media deniers of anything scientific, including climate change and the seriousness of COVID, as well as the validity of the past election and the legal and violent attempts to subvert it and future elections.
There's your bucket of worms.

But I'm glad I'm old enough that I likely won't be around to see the end results of most of that mongering.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
I am not being enen remotely condescending.
The only way to understand what I am talking about is for You to do your own study and research.
Please read my post again, and ask yourself why any intelligent person would make such a statement
and then call it opening a bucket of worms.

That exact same bucket of worms also applys to some of the Mods here,
who will quickly delete these posts for the same reasons that you are objecting to.
So, if You would like to continue this conversation, it will have to be privately.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I am not being enen remotely condescending.
Sure sounds condescending to me, when you imply I am basing my opinions on "authority figures" and not doing my own research.
why any intelligent person would make such a statement
and then call it opening a bucket of worms.
More condescension, implying I'm not an intelligent person.
And you were the one that first mentioned a "bucket of worms".

But I see no reason to continue this conversation, private or otherwise.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Oh Wow! Yes, there is a problem in that we have a repeat of weather cycles that is alsp going along with a much longer cycle of solar activity.The sun has ben putting out a small bit more energy for a while and the result has been a small increase in the energy that arrives here on earth.
In addition, massive deforestation has reduced the amount of oxygen that was being regenerated by the trees in those now missing forests. THAT is going to be a more pressing issue because while we can survive a bit warmer temperature, breathing oxygen is a more urgent thing.
And if you do the math to find the surface area of the part of the planet covered with oceans, you will be amazed at how many hundred cubic miles of ice will need to melt to raise the level one inch. And that does not even consider the increased evaporation caused by a rise in temperature.
And then one more thing, if you believe that dinosaurs existed, is that for all of them, the temperature must have been a bit warmer. so maybe the planet has been warmer once upon a time long ago. If it is as old as some claim it is.

My point being that t certainly looks like a rush to curtail a whole lot of freedoms in a whole lot of places, and put a whole lot of power in the hands of a small number of people who have already demonstrated a lack of integrity.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It's actually far more interesting than that ......
Think Star-Wars, except that all of the Weapons are geared towards Mind-Control,
and Infiltration of Centers of Control, rather than physical destruction.

The outside "Enemy" is perfectly depicted by the various, and very accurate, descriptions of Satan in the Bible.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It's actually far more interesting than that ......
Think Star-Wars, except that all of the Weapons are geared towards Mind-Control,
and Infiltration of Centers of Control, rather than physical destruction.

The outside "Enemy" is perfectly depicted by the various, and very accurate, descriptions of Satan in the Bible.
Whoa!! NOW THAT is REALLY Scary indeed. Not challenging or arguing, just saying SCARY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.