Question regarding triggering a Triac with a 555

K.e

Joined May 7, 2017
No, if you look at the circuit I posted earlier the only opto is the Triac driver, not the detection. I am using a 5v zener to regulate the Pic supply.
I am detecting the 720us pulse before the zener.
If you use a 9v battery for the logic then it would be advised to use the set up as in the AN 3006.
Max.
Ok yes i think i can see what you are doing there now.

any hope of a higher res of that image?

K.e

Joined May 7, 2017
Is this better maybe?
Max
ha as it turned out i had a single diode left on the board i was scavenging guess what it was ?
a 1N4007 ha ha.
and yeah i probed either side of it ha.

thanks again Max you have helped me learn a lot. : D

K.e

Joined May 7, 2017
Is this better maybe?
Max
hey Max (just between you and me) you know i gotta ask... (i just have to ask without looking)

Is there are 'crazy human language' name for that process the N14007 is performing, i mean you know, me... i'd call that a 'Decoupling' diode.

but what i'm EXPECTING it to be called is the 'Pass though' or 'linking' Diode..

i have to put myself in the boots of the half insane 'overseer' of the Planet that deiced on the names and labels.

[Half insane overseer of the planet]

- {hmmm well that diode seems to be separating the equalization process between two imbalanced vortexes}
- {ok so what's the opposite of that but also not using any of those words}
- { hmm this shall be forever called on Earth the 'linking diode' ! } {bangs gavel}

as for decoupling !:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could call it a form of decoupling, the diode is essentially isolating the 120Hz half wave ripple from the DC, or allowing the detection of same, if it were not there there would be just a steady peak level of the DC with no pulses for the sampling.
Max.

K.e

Joined May 7, 2017
You could call it a form of decoupling, the diode is essentially isolating the 120Hz half wave ripple from the DC, or allowing the detection of same, if it were not there there would be just a steady peak level of the DC with no pulses for the sampling.
Max.
TY Max - i have been otherwise occupied but things seem to be going well with this thanks for all the info.