question for the seasoned

fredric58

Joined Nov 28, 2014
taking it apart! ok, lets say, for instance that I want to use an LDR as a switch. lets add that I know based on readings of resistance at a specific time of day or morning or lux, or amount of light what the resistance is of a specific LDR. can I simplify the circuit and not need to use the LM339 comparator circuitry to facilitate a dark sensor switch. meaning if the resistance when I want it to turn on or off is X from the LDR, can I mathematically determine the voltage divider +- 5 to 10%. I will set it to be dark enough to where clouds etc would NOT be an issue, nor would morning either because it would be set high enough similar to night. in other words, once it gets to a certain point of darkness there is nothing that will influence the circuit, it is simply DARK, and in reverse the same as light. maybe better put is, at 8 o'clock at night it isn't goinf to get bright. make sense?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
can I simplify the circuit and not need to use the LM339 comparator circuitry to facilitate a dark sensor switch.
Not really. You need a snap action, which a comparator provides, for switching anything. Switching transistors waste a lot of power if they are only half way on or off.