Problems with safety relay

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Jonplynch, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jonplynch

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Hi guys

I am having trouble with a safety relay that is giving me a red error light of some kind that i cannot see why. This relay is controlling two door sensors. The lid sensor when lifted gives an error light as it should and then clears when it is closed again. The front door sensor however is not giving an error light when opening but i have taken it off and bench tested it and it is working fine. I just dont know if the relay itself may be giving trouble as it is only controlling these 2 sensors and is being powered by another safety real which is controlling the estops and that too is fine. I have attached info and pics of relay i am using along with sensors and schematic. The error i am getting is on the light beside terminal 24 even though nothing is connected to it.

Terminals 1 and 2 are power and terminal 3 is connected to a NO side of a 3 phase circuit breaker. Terminals 1 and 4 are also linked

link is relay in use

http://www.elobau.com/en/machine-safety/safety-control-units-/-safety-relays/safety-relay-46212.e1.

2. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
  3. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

There are english texts in these PDF's from the site.

Bertus

6. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the manual guys but I'm still uncertain of the error light beside terminal 24. Before I left it for today i measured 24 volts dc between terminals 6+7 8+9 10+11 but nothing between 12 and 13

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Isn't that a contact closure sensor source?, what are the devices hooked up to the inputs? Appears that one may be missing.
    Max.

Jonplynch likes this.
  8. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
  9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Doesn't that mean you have non-operating/open sensor? They appear to be non contacting magnetically detected.
    Max.

10. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Would this be the documentation for the GD switches?

Bertus

11. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    I only have two sensors the top one is working but I am not getting 24vdc at the terminals 12 and 13 on the relay which the 4 wire sensor runs back to

12. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    That was my previous point, it appears either your sensor sw is not being detected or could be faulty, if they output contact closure and not a safety sequence switch, you may be able to jumper/simulate it?
    Looking again at the spec sheet, it looks like they are sequence operated.
    Max.

13. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks max i took the sensor off which I suspected to be not working but it checks out on bench testing. Ifci out it back online and give a 24v supply to terminal 12 this will simulate a closed/healthy switch?

14. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    They show them as N.C. so not sure of the operated status?, but usually the importent thing with these safety switches is the sequence between contact(s) has to correct, IOW it is usually not possible to simulate them easily.
    How did you test it? with the correct operator?
    Max.

15. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    I hooked them up to lamps so when power up on the NC the lamp on and then when actuator present on NO lamp on too

16. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Not sure I understand the test, can you simulate the sensor input to the safety relay, IOW bypass the door sensor?
    Using SPDT SW.
    Max.

17. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    Hi max

When I open the top lid sensor a red error light appears on the safety relay and when I close it it goes off . When I open the front door another red light comes on and when I close it it goes off BUT the sensor has two contacts one NC and one NO but when I meter out the bottom two contacts 12 and 13 which I should be getting 24vdc but I am not. I am not getting the - between 12 and 13 but I do get the 24v when I measure between 11 and 12 I get 24

18. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    So I am assuming because I am not getting the 24 between 12 and 13 that my safety circuit isn't complete?

19. Jonplynch

Jan 28, 2012
    I have attached photos of the safety circuit and then the start/stop circuit I just can't figure out where in the schematic that the safety sensors are tied into the start or run circuit IOW where or what is holding it off from starting