Problems with lighting circuit.

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Hi Im new here and I would like to say what a wonderfull forum this is I am trying to build a small lighting circuit which will go in to a model house using LED's as the light source running off a 9v battery. Now come the bit I am struggling at. I want to add a sensor in the mix so that when people walk by the house the lights come on showing the figures I have indside.

Now I am using a IS-215T Passive Motion Sensor and I have wired it up to the battery, to test it and the led light in the sensor comes on. I then wired up the light to the sensor and tested it again but nothing the led in the sensor itself comes on but there dose not seem to be any power getting through to the light.

Any help on this matter would be much appriceated.

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I think its output is just a relay, right? If yes, did you connected the led to the battery and use the relay as a switch? A diagram would be helpful.

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Ok so here is the
PDF
showing the instructions you get with the sensor (on page 5) and here is a diagram of what I am trying to do hope this helps people.

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Power the sensor from the terminals denoted as power in the pdf. The terminals denoted as alarm is a normally closed relay. This means that its contacts are closed until the detector detects something and energize the relay as to open the contacts. You have to use another relay or a transistor to drive your LEDs if you want them to light when the detector senses something.
If you use a relay connect the C terminal to the positive of the power supply and the relay between ground and terminal NC. Also, put a diode in anti-parallel with the relay coil.

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Ok (sorry I am very new to this so excuse me if you think Im stupid) but could you explain that to me in laymans terms. I understand the first half of you reply but it is this part
mik3 said:
You have to use another relay or a transistor to drive your LEDs if you want them to light when the detector senses something.
If you use a relay connect the C terminal to the positive of the power supply and the relay between ground and terminal NC. Also, put a diode in anti-parallel with the relay coil.
when you say relay do you mean another power source?

Heres a redraw of the diagram is this what you ment by relay?

Thanks for all your help on this matter.

P.s. I like your vids mate I hope that one day I will be able to make things like that.

Last edited:

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Having thought on about your reply I have done alittle research and have come up with this diagram please could some tell me if this would be the way to go about solveing my problem with the sensor??

Last edited:

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Yes I have the coresponding resistors in place. The diagram looks very handy indeed. Thanks for you help on the matter I will try it out when I get home.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Yes I have the coresponding resistors in place. The diagram looks very handy indeed. Thanks for you help on the matter I will try it out when I get home.
Are the Tamper terminals of the device an input or an output? I am not sure, better to use the ALARM terminals in the same way.

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Ok so I have got it working thank you all for your help. The light comes on untill the infered sensor senses something then it turns off the light, how ever I was hoping there would be a way that I can turn this around so that the light is off untill the sensor senses something then it comes on for abit? is there any way of doing this??

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You can trigger a 555 wired as a monostable with the output of the sensor and the 555 will count some time before the LEDs go off.

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
I do not have accsess to any additional chips. I am also not sure which chips that are on the sensor Pcb is the 555 chip. There are three chips is could be looking at pictures of 555 chips on the internet. One chip with 4 teeth on side which says BL05A PGLOC. Then one with 7 teeth on each side saying LM324DG PBV721 and another with 7 teeth each side saying HEFA013BT L7E2E022 Un607367 on their tops. Im not sure if this helps anyone to identify the 555 chip?

I would like to applogise to you all I am as new as you can get to the world of electonics but I would like to say a massive thank you to all who have helped me with this project (despite my ingnorance) you have made me feel extremely welcome and I will try my hardest to learn all that I can so that I to can be as helpfull to new members as you all have been to me.

Last edited:

Sneblot

Joined Jan 18, 2009
It looks to me like I have no chips on my sensor board like the one described. I definatly do not have any that say NE555 on top of them. So it looks like Im tuck for the time being and sadly due to the fact that my girlfriend has to hand in sculpture (for which this lighting system is to go in) tomorrow it looks like I will not be able to sort out the problem. Thankyou for all your help in this matter it has been greatly apprecated.