Power Converter (LM2596) simulation

remi_for

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hi,

Is there anyone who know if there is a good software to simulate a Power Converter curcuit, were I would like to use the LM2596?

I tried to find it in Multisim, but it was not there.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Awesome! What is LTSpice? Is it a free software? Easy to use, like multisim?
LTspice is a free simulator developed by Linear Technologies. It's has a steep learning curve but is probably the best free simulator available. One you understand how to use it, it's easy to use.

remi_for

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Thanks! I installed the software, and tested it. It works good, and the software looks pretty good. Excited to try it more.

You sad you have a simulation of the LM2596? How should I find it?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'd suggest you join the Yahoo LTspice User Group. They have libraries of all sorts of sim models for free download. You can add models (*.sub and *.lib files) to the standard LTspice 'sub' folder, and add their symbols (*.asy files) to the LTspice 'sym' folder (or sub-folder thereof).

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I'd suggest you join the Yahoo LTspice User Group. They have libraries of all sorts of sim models for free download. You can add models (*.sub and *.lib files) to the standard LTspice 'sub' folder, and add their symbols (*.asy files) to the LTspice 'sym' folder (or sub-folder thereof).
Hi Alec_T

Last time I looked they didn't have an LM2596 model. So I made one.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Thanks! I installed the software, and tested it. It works good, and the software looks pretty good. Excited to try it more.

You sad you have a simulation of the LM2596? How should I find it?
I only have an LM2596ADj adjustable version at the moment (see attached image). But its easy enough to make a fixed version if you need one.
Which one do you need?

Attachments

Last edited:

remi_for

Joined Jan 30, 2016
I only have an LM2596ADj adjustable version at the moment (see attached image). But its easy enough to make a fixed version if you need one.
Which one do you need?
Thanks a lot :)
I need a LM2596. I am using it for a project were I would like to test if I could convert a voltage who is between 9 - 7, down to 5 V / 3 A for a load.
The datasheet is the one who is attached.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

I've created a subckt file containing the Fixed output LM2596 series regulators. It also includes the adjustable regulator. Just add the symbol to your schematic and set the value field to one of the following:
LM2596_03, LM2596_05, LM2596_12, or LM2596_ADJ

Have fun.

Attachments

remi_for

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hi

I've created a subckt file containing the Fixed output LM2596 series regulators. It also includes the adjustable regulator. Just add the symbol to your schematic and set the value field to one of the following:
LM2596_03, LM2596_05, LM2596_12, or LM2596_ADJ

Have fun.
Thanks a lot eetech00! Im allready have a lot of fun! :D

But one question: What are the Inrush Input Filter Model for? To regulate an good input volatge?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Thanks a lot eetech00! Im allready have a lot of fun! :D

But one question: What are the Inrush Input Filter Model for? To regulate an good input volatge?
Its just to slow the input current rise when input power is initially applied. You probably don't need it.

mcj74

Joined Jan 10, 2007
Hello eetech00, thank you for making this model. I tried it with the newest version of LTspice and got:

1573655499227.png

This was after changing all of the PULSE(...) statements in LM2596xx.txt to include a missing 5th parameter {VTFALL}. It simulates now, but does not operate correctly. Could you investigate? Thank you.

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello eetech00, thank you for making this model. I tried it with the newest version of LTspice and got:

View attachment 191345

This was after changing all of the PULSE(...) statements in LM2596xx.txt to include a missing 5th parameter {VTFALL}. It simulates now, but does not operate correctly. Could you investigate? Thank you.
Hi

Here is the latest version attached.

Attachments