positive ions of electrolyte

yasirnawaz

Joined Sep 20, 2006
can u people tell me how can positive ion of electrolyt move towards the positive electrode. it is the case inside battery how can a positive ion move towards positive electrode bz there will be repulsion is there any thing u know about it pls telll me .

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I believe that the material of the positve electrode is electrically neutral. The ions of the electrolyte react chemically with the material of the electrode, with the result that charges flow when there is a complete circuit.

yasirnawaz

Joined Sep 20, 2006
the electrodes are also attach to a wire externally if the positive electrode is neutral then how can electrons in the wire move i mean there will be no current in wire . pls explain

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
the electrodes are also attach to a wire externally if the positive electrode is neutral then how can electrons in the wire move i mean there will be no current in wire . pls explain
Reread my previous post. It is the chemical reaction between the ions in the electrolyte and the electrically neutral material that produces an excess of electrons or a deficit of electrons. They are called oxidation-reduction reactions. If you don't know any chemistry then this explanation will be lost on you. Sorry 'bout that.

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
yasir,see...dont get into the redox reactions part.even i have forgotten most of my high school chemistry.i'll put it this way...

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/images/elect_ohms_law-dc_circuit.gif

-consider a battery providing,say 5v.
-there is a "battery force"(due to redox reactions),F1 that tends to maintain the rated potential difference of the battery.
-F1 CAN move the electrons towards the - terminal by doing work on them.
this work is stored in the cell as electric potential energy.
-the charge separation brought about by F1 creates an electric field which causes a force F2 on the electrons.
-in equilibrium,(when the cell is connected to nothing) F1=F2. and there is no motion of charges.
-see the picture i have given to you.here,F1 acts in the downwrd direction.
F2 in the upward direction.these are opposite to each other.NOTE THAT F1 AND F2 ARE FORCES INSIDE THE CELL.

-when a cell is connected to a wire,the conduction electron(s) of the wire which are near the + terminal of the cell,enter the cell and tend to reduce the potential of the + terminal.THEN, F2 decreases and F1 dominates.

-F1 moves an electron(s) from + terminal to - terminal till F2=F1.this happens instantly.

-hence,the cell does work on charges which is stored as potential energy of the cell.

-the rate of chemical reactions decreases with time and decrease in amount of reactants.hence F1 decreases with time AND THERE COMES A TIME WHEN YOU GO SHOPPING FOR A NEW BATTERY!!!

I HOPE THAT MY EXPLANATION SOLVED YOUR PROBLEMS.PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES.GOOD BYE.