Polarity of the capacitor.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is possible to modify the schematic for different caps, as in changing the resistor capacitor combo to do exactly the same thing. Do you have 10µF? (you will). Someone mentioned it, but show us your schematic or link please.

I keep stating this, it does not matter what kind of capacitor. It is the value that is important. I have 4 different kinds (probably more) in my stock. All are 1µF, all would work. It is the value (1µF) that is important.

It is possible to make 1µF from other caps that are close in value. 10 X 0.1µF would do it, or 3 X 3.3µF. What do you have in stock?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Have mercy upon me Oh Lord.

The application you have is extremely loose, in other words the exact value is not that important. What other caps do you have? You can use anything from 0.47µ to 10µF (maybe higher) and it wouldn't care. It is an extremely non-critical function and use of the part.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
IT DOES NOT MATTER.
It is a 1uf capacitor with its polarity shown. It can be an electrolytic or tantalum polarized capacitor or a film or ceramic capacitor.

I think a 0.01uF to 100uF capacitor will work the same.
I think I can understand why you get frustrated some times on this and other forums.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010

The application you have is extremely loose, in other words the exact value is not that important. What other caps do you have? You can use anything from 0.47µ to 10µF (maybe higher) and it wouldn't care. It is an extremely non-critical function and use of the part.
OK. You say polarity doesn't matter. And anything ranged from 0.47 or so. I had one more 0.1 cap capacitor. is it OK?

whyyyy? :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No, polarity does matter if the capacitor has one, it may not have a polarity though. It isn't a sure thing either way.

Bertus just recommended an excellent site elsewhere that I think you may like, and covers a lot of the basics.

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/caps/caps.html

When my brother and I disassembled a very old TV my Dad was throwing away I had parts galore. It drove home that there many many variations on the same parts.

Have mercy?

Frustration. A lot of folks answering your questions act like there is only one part, when the numbers are huge. While their information is not bad, it is extremely limited to the point it isn't helping. We have no way of knowing what you can get one way or another, and it is entirely possible you have the part at your fingertips and don't know it.

I didn't include a 1µF in the package, but there are other values, a very small quantity, along with protoboard and a 555 circuit prebuilt on it. I'm just hoping it wasn't stolen. Customs can take several weeks, so it could be waiting there at the moment.

And yes, a 0.1µF may work in that design. It is to debounce the switch.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I think I can understand why you get frustrated some times on this and other forums.
There should be a jail for nOObs where they can learn the basics about electronics. It seems that teachers and instructors today know nuttin.
The nOObs should not be allowed on one of these electronics chat forums where we intelligently talk about the details of complicated circuits.

I reply to the HOMEWORK forum only when I am finished with all the complicated forums.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One more, One more, One more. pls.

what capacitor should i tell to the seller when i am buying? pls. tell it...
A 1µF capacitor, pronounced microfarad.

If he takes you to the same part as last time, point out it is labeled 1nf, pronounced nanofarad, and it one thousand times smaller than you need.

Odds are it will be an electrolytic, as the other guys have been saying. This is OK.

If it is not an electrolytic, this is OK too.

It does not matter. The value is all that matters.

A 1µF cap is an in between part, with a 100µF the types are much less, and it is almost always an electrolytic. Same with 10pf, it will not be an electrolytic. The 1µF can use many types of capacitor technologies to do the job, all of them work.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There should be a jail for nOObs where they can learn the basics about electronics. It seems that teachers and instructors today know nuttin.
The nOObs should not be allowed on one of these electronics chat forums where we intelligently talk about the details of complicated circuits.

I reply to the HOMEWORK forum only when I am finished with all the complicated forums.
Well, I'm here to teach the basics. Someone has to do it. It does take patience.

Somehow I don't imagine you teaching electronics in a high school. There would be pain on all sides. :D

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
We have to remember that Lightfire is one of our youngest active members if not perhaps the youngest active member. And taking Lightfires age into consideration. I think he do very honorable job getting the grasp of things. So no need to get nippy Audioguru. If you come to a point then you feel you can not help the OP. Just ignore the thread.
Ps what do you name a neighbour that use a telescope to spy on others neighbours current meter. And get excited then he finds out that a neighbour can afford a higher current bill than his household can manage

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Ps what do you name a neighbour that use a telescope to spy on others neighbours current meter. And get excited then he finds out that a neighbour can afford a higher current bill than his household can manage
My electricity meter and my next door neighbour's electricity meter were both changed to the new SMART type within seconds. Then they were both reset to zero at the same time. They are both visible (without a telescope). Both homes are the same size. Her meter read double as much as mine in 6 months and she is alone and I live with my wife. In one year hers reads 3 times as much as mine. She WASTES electricity! I think she runs her furnace and her air conditioning at the same time!

Hint: She was a teacher and still gets the same retirement pay as working teachers. But now in addition she works as a teacher of teachers and gets paid twice as much.

Did I snoop? Maybe a little.

You should see the neighbour woman behind my house when she .... never mind. Everybody on my side of the street sees her show.