Picture this...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You have to be very careful what you let your kids do these days (i.e. climb a ladder, go on a errand alone etc), someone may report you to child and family services for allowing them to do things unattended etc.
Truly sad days!:(
Max.
Even worse: I hope he pulled all the proper permits. And paid off the various local union leaders.
I don't know how to word this in a way that sounds classy and sincere, so I'll just say it the first way that came to mind: I don't give a damn. I subscribe to an old school mentality that is time-tested and proven to produce progeny who are equipped to handle the world and be productive, successful on their own two feet when they leave my nest before their 20th birthday (unless they're in college). They get spankings, they have responsibilities, chores, and consequences. They (for the most part) are respectful, trustworthy, honest, and motivated. I teach them things. I let them do things. I don't pad corners or put them in a bubble. My 6 year old has more life skills than most kids in high school these days.

I'm not embarrassed, afraid, or ashamed to divulge the fact that my 12 year old can be trusted to babysit her two young sisters for hours at a time, and has been doing so since she was 10. My friends don't get it. They can't leave their 12 year olds (singular) home alone for more than 15 minutes with no responsibility other than to keep breathing.

If put in a position where I have to choose between complying with the law and societal expectations or staying true to my values, I'll choose my values. They can can call me an outlaw if they want, call the cops if they want. We'll see who's kids end up in prison; mine or theirs. I won't live in fear of big brother.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I don't know how to word this in a way that sounds classy and sincere, so I'll just say it the first way that came to mind: I don't give a damn. I subscribe to an old school mentality that is time-tested and proven to produce progeny who are equipped to handle the world and be productive, successful on their own two feet when they leave my nest before their 20th birthday (unless they're in college). They get spankings, they have responsibilities, chores, and consequences. They (for the most part) are respectful, trustworthy, honest, and motivated. I teach them things. I let them do things. I don't pad corners or put them in a bubble. My 6 year old has more life skills than most kids in high school these days.

I'm not embarrassed, afraid, or ashamed to divulge the fact that my 12 year old can be trusted to babysit her two young sisters for hours at a time, and has been doing so since she was 10. My friends don't get it. They can't leave their 12 year olds (singular) home alone for more than 15 minutes with no responsibility other than to keep breathing.

If put in a position where I have to choose between complying with the law and societal expectations or staying true to my values, I'll choose my values. They can can call me an outlaw if they want, call the cops if they want. We'll see who's kids end up in prison; mine or theirs. I won't live in fear of big brother.
Man... it's too bad that this place doesn't have a double-like button ;)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
After discharging our umpteenth ship with windmill parts in this pier (Alm. Storni - Puerto Madryn - Chubut - Patagonia)

20181206_142938.jpg

In our way to the Trelew airport, we usually meet this critter, which people seem not to fear at all.

20181230_135019.jpg

After taking off, you could see on the right, part of the Parque eólico Loma Blanca IV, discharged IIRC, 4 years ago, powered by Alstom, erected in maybe less than 4 months.

20181230_165026.jpg

With the plane now heading North you could see succesively, Golfo Nuevo (where Puerto Madryn is). Whales, Austral variety, come here to mate in the second semester of every year. Very friendly, they atract lots of tourists.

20181230_165625.jpg

The isthmus connecting Península de Valdez to mainland

20181230_165901.jpg

also separating Golfo Nuevo from Golfo San José. Patagonia Argentina.

20181230_170016.jpg

Nothing that you could not find out with Google Maps in few minutes, I know.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
This is called 1000 steps "trail". It is was a railroad running up local mountain to supply a military bunker at the top. All installed for WWII and all in various states of decomposition right now. There are several bunkers in the forests, many now on commercial property and off public access. You can see the rail in the photo. The rope is there so that you do not slip on wet rotting wood...

The line behind me going up the the rest of the "trail". Quite steep. This was few days before New Years. And I still get asked why I have no Christmas Tree at my house

20181230_134841.jpg

Really impressed with this new cam (Canon Rebel SL2 [EOS 200D]. Huge plus up from my old XTi. Has a 24.2 Megapixel CMOS, 3" / LCD screen with a MUCH higher resolution making Live Shoot actually work - it is also a touch screen which I didn't think would matter much but I'm finding out that it also makes adjustments much easier. HD (1080) movies at 60p. All of the Canon interface that I learned from the XTi is still there, but everything is better :)

Just *barely* scratching the surface and these samples have not been processed at all except to crop and reduce (include jpg size / resolution). Have not set white balance or bracket any settings just excited playing :)
IMG_0024R.jpg
(that's an soic btw)

IMG_0017R.jpg
Here is where the 24 MP shows it stuff - this is a small cut from the shot above, not reduced.
IMG_0017R2.jpg