Peak Oil

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Who was the first fracker?

Huh? You are so wrong. From the 1870’s in Pennsylvania drillers found that well production dropped quickly after the initial drilling was complete. So they tried lots of things to stimulate things. One was dropping a bomb of nitro glycerin down the hole. There are well documented reports of this causing all kinds of havoc including blowing up the backwoods chemists when they were preparing this volatile compound. That’s real fracking!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Huh? You are so wrong. From the 1870’s in Pennsylvania drillers found that well production dropped quickly after the initial drilling was complete. So they tried lots of things to stimulate things. One was dropping a bomb of nitro glycerin down the hole. There are well documented reports of this causing all kinds of havoc including blowing up the backwoods chemists when they were preparing this volatile compound. That’s real fracking!
Bombs down oil wells != Fracking (AKA Hydraulic Fracturing).

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Gas prices rising?

But:

U.S. rig count increasing

and

Oil takes a hit.

IMHO, our (US) frackers are completely in control of the market now. Purely profit driven, they can open/close wells on a moment's notice based solely on the beneficial economics.

This is all good. As long as the Feds stay out of the way, I don't think we will see $80+ bbl oil for a long time. Maybe at least a generation.

Now, if we could only build a few more refineries. And build them in the North -- away from hurricane alley.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
IMHO, our (US) frackers are completely in control of the market now. Purely profit driven, they can open/close wells on a moment's notice based solely on the beneficial economics.

This is all good. As long as the Feds stay out of the way, I don't think we will see $80+ bbl oil for a long time. Maybe at least a generation.

Now, if we could only build a few more refineries. And build them in the North -- away from hurricane alley.

Far better than the Saudis controlling the prices. ;)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I don't think we will see $80+ bbl oil for a long time. Maybe at least a generation.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/bre...r-high-after-trump-warns-russia-on-syria.html

Brent crude prices were at $72.47 a barrel, up $1.43, or 2 percent from Tuesday's closing price. The contract earlier rose to $73.09, the highest level since Nov. 28, 2014, when it hit $73.41.
Wow. Let's see if my SWAG was off by -- ummm -- "at least a generation" minus a few days.

In any case, high oil prices are great for our frackers. (See! I can have it both ways...)

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I'll never understand how people were foolish enough to be lured into a business partnership with such corrupt government.
Yes, they should have come to Canada instead. Our government freely gives away our money to foreign interests. Just ask Kinder Morgan... I wonder if Enbridge will sue the feds now, their pipeline just got cancelled, over similar concerns BTW. It is all about remaining at the feeding trough for that much longer...