Peak Oil

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This project will not make anything cheaper for those living here. Boom bust continues. The money goes to the corporations.
If that's the case, then why haven't energy prices for the consumer even come close to keeping up with inflation over most periods spanning at least a couple decades. Seems pretty incompetent price fixing and gouging to not even be able to do that.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
If that's the case, then why haven't energy prices for the consumer even come close to keeping up with inflation over most periods spanning at least a couple decades. Seems pretty incompetent price fixing and gouging to not even be able to do that.
The comment was that it will make prices cheaper. I can guarantee that the fact that we export LNG will not make local gas prices plummet. Canada is an oil producer. Have you seen our gas prices lately? Our hydro is set to skyrocet in order to pay for site C project that is being build to provide electricity to these various mega projects. Will the companies pick up the tab or the consumer? For the local communities the cost of living will increase. We have a growing port that is a rival to Seattle. You should come visit the city that is on its last legs.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
This project will not make anything cheaper for those living here. Boom bust continues. The money goes to the corporations. LNG is seen as green and I guess compared to the bitumen it is. Prince Rupert is looking to do a propane terminal as well. It is open season for everyone. Feels like we are running high fever... will be fun times when Earth decides to shake us off and there is a 9 point earthquake here once they are done with their terminals. There is a solution to every problem.
Mother Gaia tried to shake us off during the dark ages with the Black Plague.

She failed.

Bring it on, I say. Ingenuity will reign supreme, as always.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Even if that's true, what does it have to do with the new NAFTA replacement/modification?

Furthermore, even if the government of Canada is all you claim it is, how does that prevent Shell from developing the capabilities to be more competitive in the LNG global market?
In the end, NAFTA was only slightly tweaked. All that was done were a few minor modifications.
So you must know why Mayan Civilization collapsed?
Actually, it was aristocratic in-breeding. The Mayans as a civilization were long gone even before the Spaniards arrived.

They were so jealous of their knowledge in architecture, math, astronomy and other disciplines, that the families specializing in each field married only among themselves... until the knowledge and secrets disappeared because (in their view) there were none worthy of sharing them with.

But don't let my on-the-side comment derail this conversation. I find this thread fascinating as it is. :)

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
And speaking of “Peak oil”. I went to the annual Chevron retirees lunch this past week. The CEO (Mike Wirth) declared that this year for the first time in 75 years the U.S. is a net petroleum exporter. Since Chevron HQ is nearby we usually get the scoop straight from the top. Lots of fun, now just work on that stock price, will you Mike?