Parts List for Constructing High Voltage Charger & Discharger

geriatricjerry

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I need to construct a simple high voltage circuit charging / discharging circuit, and a harness for connection. I need some help with parts and assembly. Here is a basic diagram:

Questions / concerns:

1) I have a spare PC ATX power supply that I can use for 12v. My voltmeter has an operating range of 9 - 12V DC, will this be okay or do I need to step it down?

2) I need connectors with covers for safe HV connection. Any ideas for specific parts? This is labeled “battery harness connection” in the diagram and should be something like this:

3) fuses & fuse holders: would Mouser #530-3AG1-R and Mouser #441-R364-GR be appropriate?

4) in order to accomplish the task explained below, I believe I just need the relay and a Zener diode. Would Mouser #512-1N4742A and #653-G5V-1-T90-DC12 be appropriate?

Thank you for any assistance.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't think I can help you much but I recommend changing your drawing to eliminate the negative voltages. I believe you really mean ground for all of those. Putting a label of -12V or -200V on a schematic implies that these are voltages established below ground or some other zero-voltage reference point. In other words it's a much more complex circuit. And also there's no such thing as "+" and "-" AC, it's just AC. Use a "~" if you must.

Hopefully you'll get more feedback when your schematic is easier to follow.

Other minor things:
• I'd consider putting the mains power fuse before, rather than after the switch. It depends a little how your build is constructed but why not?
• What is the purpose of the DC-DC converter?
• Are you certain the transformer has an integral rectifier to produce DC output?

geriatricjerry

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I don't think I can help you much but I recommend changing your drawing to eliminate the negative voltages. I believe you really mean ground for all of those. Putting a label of -12V or -200V on a schematic implies that these are voltages established below ground or some other zero-voltage reference point. In other words it's a much more complex circuit. And also there's no such thing as "+" and "-" AC, it's just AC. Use a "~" if you must.

Hopefully you'll get more feedback when your schematic is easier to follow.

Other minor things:
• I'd consider putting the mains power fuse before, rather than after the switch. It depends a little how your build is constructed but why not?
• What is the purpose of the DC-DC converter?
• Are you certain the transformer has an integral rectifier to produce DC output?

It's actually not my schematic. I'm going off info sourced from the web from others who have constructed similar circuits, but I wanted to double check everything here to make sure I understand everything I am doing given the safety risks of high voltage electricity.

I will transpose the switch and fuse.

I believe the DC-DC convert was only for voltage regulation for the voltmeter. I'm not sure if it's necessary or not.

I don't know about the transformer inside it, but my PC ATX power supply powers a 12v DC fan just fine.

Thank you so much for your help!!