Panel mounted socket

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
Hi All, Im back again after a long time and ready for next project. Im going to build a 12 volt DC motor speed controller with a few added extras, its going to be a portable device so would like to keep it small and tidy

What I need is suggestions please, on panel / project box mounted socket, I have seen, I think a plug / socket very similar to this:

vga.PNG

The bottom connector, Im sure Ive seen ones like that that have 4 x bigger terminals.

What I need is 6 - 8 low amp, low voltage pins and 2 or 4, depending on size, higher amperage pins

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

liteace

Joined Mar 7, 2012
The controller can run start up current of 80 amps for 1-2 seconds then a continuous current of 30 amps.

I wont be using anything as high as that, I'd say max 2 amps or less

Thanks

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I would stay away from the mini D-sub sizes, such as the one in your photo - a 15 pin insert in the 9-pin shell size. The smaller pins are a pain to solder or crimp, require a tighter position tolerance, and IMO just generally not worth the hassle unless you're jammed for space. Better to use one of the standard D-sub bodies, such as the 15 pin (what used to be called the "game port" connector on old PCs).

ak

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
theres gear for such purposes the controllers are often used for modelmaking so you may find the connectors plugs by such keyword or inside such shop

The above pictures is signalling connectors while they could take abuse of some Amps its nonstandard same as you could use Rockwell audio connectors for power supply among other things not short circuit proof so at 80 Amps regular when shorted you get a prob of a kind