Oscillator ic?

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

I've been searching around for a oscillator ic I could use in a repair. A chip I can't get has several functions, one of them is to drive a crystal and clock the rest of the chips on the board.
The crystal and clock signal are 12Mhz, any suggestions for a good one, I've got a bit lost in parametric searches and data sheets!

Thanks Geoff

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Not much information to go on here. Not even what voltage level you are looking for. Why not just use a 12 MHz crystal oscillator? You can get them for a buck or two from DigiKey (not to mention lots of other places).

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Also the ic I can't get, outputs a fairly clean square wave clock signal.
I've only ever user a xtal on a pic before, more likely use the internal osc so don't know much about clocking boards!

Cheers Geoff

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Also the ic I can't get, outputs a fairly clean square wave clock signal.
I've only ever user a xtal on a pic before, more likely use the internal osc so don't know much about clocking boards!
Again, why not just get a 12 MHz, 5 V crystal oscillator module? A few bucks from DigiKey or elsewhere. Solder it down, apply power to the power supply pins and apply the output to your clock inputs on your target device. Just be sure that your target devices are configured to accept a clock signal input (as opposed to either generating the clock internally or driving a crystal directly).

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Again, why not just get a 12 MHz, 5 V crystal oscillator module? A few bucks from DigiKey or elsewhere. Solder it down, apply power to the power supply pins and apply the output to your clock inputs on your target device. Just be sure that your target devices are configured to accept a clock signal input (as opposed to either generating the clock internally or driving a crystal directly).
Thanks, that's what I'll do
The missing chip, AMS 3609, as far as I can find out it was only made for delaval to go on the alcom bus so isn't available to us at large.
I did email AMS (an Austrian firm but they didn't get back to me)
I have a working board and have mapped out what each pin does with my scope and am hoping to put together a small board with a pic and oscillator on it to replace this chip.
I'm planning on using a 16f1779 as it has fairly high current source sink capacity to drive the bus and onboard comparator which is needed to interpret the bus signal.
As far as I know I can't clock the 16f1779 fast enough to get 12Mhz out a pin, hence the question about oscillators.
Cheers Geoff