Oscillator and Voltage Issues

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Hi,

I have been using the ABT26 (32.768KHz) oscillator for many years without any issues. I have always use it with a microcontroller running with 3V. Now, I have a design with a microcontroller running with 5V and this oscillator refuses to work. I don't see any voltage specifications in the datasheet for this oscillator. Am I missing something here that won't let me use this oscillator at 3V?

Thanks,

Robert

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I'm using the PIC16F19176. So, you don't think it's a hardware issue. Hmm, you think that it is in the code. The code is very long. The chip's memory is full.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Are you using the crystal on the primary or secondary oscillator?
With the primary oscillator you may nay need a resistor in series with the crystal.

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Are you using the crystal on the primary or secondary oscillator?
With the primary oscillator you may nay need a resistor in series with the crystal.
No, I'm using it as the secondary oscillator to control the timing of the Real Time Clock in the chip.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The problem isn't the supply voltage. Assuming that the crystal is good and it and the capacitors are connected correctly then the hardware isn't the problem.
Attach all the code.

PIC-User

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Hmm, I think that I found the problem. I was connecting the secondary oscillator to OSC1 and OSC2. It should be connected to SOSCI and SOSCO instead.

1616718613438.png