Optimizing a control system with Fuzzy Logic/Genetic algorithm in a PLC

Max Kreeger

Joined Oct 1, 2013
Hi guys,

I've been tasked with optimizing a PID controller in a PLC with two different methods and then comparing the results as to which one works better.

Hardware: PLC: Schneider Electrics' Modicon M340
Sofwatre:
Unitry Pro XL & MatLab
The loop itself is yet to be defined.

I have previously optimized a PI controller via the root locus method, for a 1st order tank level control system. For the time being lets assume that the loop that is to be defined will be similar to that.

Understanding the two methods isn't a problem in itself, the problem is in implementing them. While there are many tutorials on YouTube showing the use of said methods (in MatLab)...there's nothing to show how I would use the data/implement the method within a PLC, I can't seem to visualize the approach. Do I need to code my own function blocks? or does it all need to be in ST? or can this be created in ladder logic? I'm still researching the subject so I apologize if I am thinking about the problem in an incorrect manor.

If someone could provide some insight or even an example of some programming that would be fantastic..anything to give me a reference point to work from.

Thank you in advance
Max