Optical interferometer using dual laser diodes

Stevey22

Joined May 21, 2017
Hey guys im currently in the design stage of a project, where im researching components to use and how to use them i just need some help with some basic questions about electronics as i have no practical experience yet and am uncertain in some aspects. Also ideas and pointing problems or errors that may occur are welcome.

The project is to basically build a cheap device that will combine two laser diodes, in the attachment i have made up a very basic schematic of the components im thinking about using (some are unnamed i can get the names if you wish), the wiring is also very basic and not how it will be connected.

My questions are what could i use in between the transformer and the components make connections easier, should i use a regulator between the fan and the power supply, could i expect any spikes that could damage the peltier plate from the temperature controller switching on and off, do you know any flat digital thermostats as the ones that come with the STC1000 are rounded (usually for aquariums and such). I was considering using the w1209 for a temp controller but am unsure how the supplied current will work with this module and havnt asked yet.

cheers

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
First of all, a transformer delivers AC, I think you mean to label that device "power supply" because it likely outputs DC (contains rectifiers and capacitors to smooth the DC. It may even contain voltage regulator circuitry.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
My guess is that all of your components run on DC, not the AC that comes from a transformer.

To start, post data shets of each component. Next, make a list of the voltage and current requirements for each component. Next, tell us.

You might find that you need several different voltages for your system. If that is the case, review the components and see if any of them are available with different requirements, to see if you can reduce the number of different power supply outputs needed. For example, if the TECs need 24 Vdc, use 24 Vdc fans.

Next, we work to get the power system defined. This might be one main power supply for the TECs, with a couple of outboard regulators for the LD hosts. This is where we address noise control, spike suppression, etc.

ak

Stevey22

Joined May 21, 2017
ok iv tried to choose components that work with the 12v power supply (to try make things simpler).

So far the components chosen:

The STC-1000 requires 12v AC/DC specs can be seen below
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-12...302715?hash=item2cb7afa57b:g:ELsAAOSw2xRYXOLt

Im using a 2.4a SXD laser driver for the NDG7475 which i will set the drive current to 1.5amps (works with 7-12v)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4A-SXD-Su...NDB7875-NDB7675-NDG7475-NUGM01T-/171980092876

The TEC peltier plates are 12v dc 6amp capable and can be seen below
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-60W-...068502?hash=item25b527b5d6:g:gVcAAOSwbwlXDMEb

I am still looking for a driver for the LPC836 where i will set the drive current to below 340mA

and was considering just using 12v dc computer fans , the diodes are attached below also.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hey guys im currently in the design stage of a project, where im researching components to use and how to use them i just need some help with some basic questions about electronics as i have no practical experience yet and am uncertain in some aspects. Also ideas and pointing problems or errors that may occur are welcome.

The project is to basically build a cheap device that will combine two laser diodes, in the attachment i have made up a very basic schematic of the components im thinking about using (some are unnamed i can get the names if you wish), the wiring is also very basic and not how it will be connected.

My questions are what could i use in between the transformer and the components make connections easier, should i use a regulator between the fan and the power supply, could i expect any spikes that could damage the peltier plate from the temperature controller switching on and off, do you know any flat digital thermostats as the ones that come with the STC1000 are rounded (usually for aquariums and such). I was considering using the w1209 for a temp controller but am unsure how the supplied current will work with this module and havnt asked yet.

cheers
Welcome to All About Circuits (AAC). You are bound to get lots of helpful advice and guidance on your electronics project here on AAC.
In order to help us help you, here are some design guidelines and how to introduce and post a thread on AAC.

1. Consider your design project and in six words or fewer, give it a name or title that describes your project.
2. Use this as your subject title for your thread. This would describe your project better than "Some general help on a project if possible".
It serves no purpose if every thread begins with such a title as you have posted.
3. Describe your electronics background and experience so that responders can tailor their responses (which you have done).
4. After you have said what the project is supposed to do, draw a block diagram of the major components in your design (as you have attempted to do). This is called "Top-Down Design".

You have told us that there are two laser diodes, a TEC, temperature sensor. From your drawing, there appears to be some sort of interferometry set up with mirrors.

What are you attempting to do and measure? i.e. Question #1 above.

Since this is more on a project design rather than a question on General Electronics Chat, I moved this thread to The Projects Forum.

Stevey22

Joined May 21, 2017
Hey mrchips, sorry for starting the post wrong i will get it right next time.

Im currently studying electronics engineering and have no practical experience yet, this is my first project and im trying to get ahead start on things by learning what the basic components a device needs to function + safely.

the first part of the project is to design and construct the device as i have tried to draw above, a laser pump that will combine two laser diodes using mirrors. I will then focus this combined light into some optical fiber and measure the efficiency. (The wavelengths produced, how much light gets into the fiber etc..) but this part of the project will be done with the aid of a supervisor as its mainly physics.

I hope this helps a bit.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hey mrchips, sorry for starting the post wrong i will get it right next time.

Im currently studying electronics engineering and have no practical experience yet, this is my first project and im trying to get ahead start on things by learning what the basic components a device needs to function + safely.

the first part of the project is to design and construct the device as i have tried to draw above, a laser pump that will combine two laser diodes using mirrors. I will then focus this combined light into some optical fiber and measure the efficiency. (The wavelengths produced, how much light gets into the fiber etc..) but this part of the project will be done with the aid of a supervisor as its mainly physics.

I hope this helps a bit.
Not bad, but it still doesn't tell us what you are trying to do.
In six words or fewer, give us a title of the experiment or apparatus.
"its mainly physics" also applies to electronics. Electronics is mainly physics as well.

Once we've come up with a suitable title, I will change the title of this thread, just to let you know ahead of time. This would significantly help search engines in future searches.

Stevey22

Joined May 21, 2017
so i guess "designing a laser pump" would be the title but im not sure how to change it

and what i meant by mainly physics was the optics side of the project if that makes more sense (even though its probably still electronics)?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
so i guess "designing a laser pump" would be the title but im not sure how to change it

and what i meant by mainly physics was the optics side of the project if that makes more sense (even though its probably still electronics)?
How about "Optical interferometer using dual laser diodes".

Stevey22

Joined May 21, 2017
Hey fellas so do you think im on the right track with things? i have a updated schematic here i havnt changed much, also the components that arnt labeled are basically the same as the labeled ones

cheers

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Everything in the drawing adds up to 14.8 A at 12 V. Assuming not everything is on full blast at the same time, you probably can get away with a smaller power supply, but 5 A seems light.

ak

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Last edited:

Stevey22

Joined May 21, 2017
Thanks i might increase the power supply amp limit a bit and take out the TEC systems and replace them with large heatsinks / fans. From what iv been reading the 1W laser diode and 340mW LD doesn't really heat up that much to put that kind of system in, even with a continuous run time.