Ohms Law and Hominid Evolution

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They say our military is about 50 to 75 years ahead of us. Who knows what they have now. They have declassified the TR-3B a nuclear powered anti gravity aircraft that everyone thought was a UFO.
https://www.military.com/video/airc...aurora-anti-gravity-spacecrafts/2860314511001
So I don't think I'm being crazy when you can read things like this

It doesn't OFFICIALLY exist.... They said the same thing about the Stealth Fighter.

Brzrkr
Complete pseudoscientific "impossible" BS.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Aren't we really trying to detect things
Remember the SETI project? It's still alive today. The radio telescopes are left running after gathering project data and computers when idle are listening to see if any signal was detected? So far NADA, ZILCH, BUPKISS, still waiting...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
bet they said the same thing to the Wright brothers

Brzrkr
Maybe but it proves nothing about this laughable case of totally imaginary BS.

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

Carl Sagan

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
I would find it much easier to believe that it is our own technology than some Alien coming from God knows how far through the voids of space.

Brzrkr

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
When I read the article I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't published April 1. One of the old Ham Radio mags used to publish these weird articles in April. One I remember long ago was about the Air Force losing one of its prototype stealth planes. They had parked it and couldn't find it again because it was so well cloaked.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
No one has mentioned how much resources it would take to travel across the universe. Food (assuming they eat), Water (assuming they drink),
Fuel (enough to get to the speed of light (186,282 miles per second) Shielding (radiation and obstacle). At that speed a stone the size of a dime would rip a hole all the way through the ship. At the speed of light it would take 4 1/2 years to get to the nearest star, you would need enough of all the above listed to last that long. and even at 4 times the speed of light it would take a whole year to get to it.

OH YEA oxygen/atmosphere (if they breath)

Brzrkr

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Nobody is saying there aren't fakes out there.
What some say are UFO's, I say they aren't "It's us"

Brzrkr

Last edited:

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Foo fighters were just lights so called orbs. Not actually caught on radar or filmed up close. This was an actual craft.

Brzrkr

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LOL we got into HUGE trouble in high school. Making hot air balloons out of a ladies dress plastic cover from the dry cleaners. The tiny candles used to power them gave a wonderful yellow glow to them as they drifted in the sky on a dark night. One landed in a farmers field and left a small burnt circle that the gov folks from U of TN and Oak Ridge National labs found most interesting and were running all about with their Geiger counters investigating.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
some Alien coming from God knows how far
You can't use "God" and "Aliens" in the same sentence. One precludes the other.

Just because we haven't figured out how something happened - doesn't mean it didn't happen. Of course it doesn't mean it DID happen either, but just because no one knows how life started we can't discount that it did. Whether we arose from a soup, a colonial experiment by some extraterrestrial beings or from a god, the fact is we're here.

As for radio waves, yes, I agree, any advanced civilization would be so far away from using radio that we would have never been listening for it when it came and went. I've heard of a pair of particles that exist in opposite states one from the other. Separate them and change the state of one and the other will flip-flop. It was said that no matter how far the distance, when one flips the other flops. That in itself could be used for digital communication. Forget radio waves, imagine speaking to astronauts on Mars in real time. Or communicating with another civilization in some distant solar system where they're similarly advanced.

Then again, just fold space and step from one sheet to the other and voila! You're there in an instant.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Foo fighters were just lights so called orbs. Not actually caught on radar or filmed up close. This was an actual craft.

Brzrkr
That's only because current technology didn't exist then, the pilots descriptions are much the same, bright lights, 'impossible movements, super high speeds, etc ... The Russians generally tell their pilots to ignore the things but sometimes do give chase.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Tonyr1084 said:
You can't use "God" and "Aliens" in the same sentence. One precludes the other.
God (the Bible) never said we were the only ones He made. It said He made the Heavens and the Earth. So if he made us he could have made others. It also speaks of the Others "Nephilim". And yes Radio waves are piss poor way of communication. To Wbahn's statement just because there is life on a planet doesn't mean it's intelligent.

Brzrkr

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
A lot of creative photo-editing. MiG 21's taking off. At the end, "damage to the left wing." No details on the damage. Preexisting? A lot of other airplanes in between to fill the space.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I had a hard enough time getting a 100W CW signal to Australia and it was only on the other side of the world from me. I'll be long dead before I get a response to CQ from Alpha Centauri.
You don't strike me as THAT old, given that the round trip from here to Alpha Centauri is only about 8.6 years.

Not to mention that the signal would be completely denigrated by the time it gets there and would be nothing but noise.
Very valid point. Keep in mind that Voyager 2's transmitter is less than 25 W. Amazing what can be done with a big enough antenna.

But we don't need to be able to receive low-level signals like amateur comms. There would be enough large, powerful emitters whose emissions should still be strong enough when they get here that throwing a lot of signal processing at them should be able to bring them far enough up out of the noise to be able to classify them as non-natural. As an example, the SETI program on some other planet would be detecting your Morse transmissions, but more likely the high powered pulsed radars used for missile early warning detection. Those are repetitive enough and long enough lived that the SNR can be drastically improved by correlating the signals over long time windows.

And communication isn't the goal, only detection. So it doesn't matter than the civilization we detect dies thousands of years ago -- just detecting that it ever existed would be earth shattering.

I don't know what the current range is at which it is believed that we should be able to detect at least some type of nonnatural signal from an advanced civilization -- but that range is constantly being pushed outward. I also don't know whether there is life anywhere else, although I'm receptive to the notion that the probability is probably high. But I also am pretty firm in my believe that there is a good change that the distances involved and the laws of physics, including the ones we don't know about, may well preclude any such civilizations from ever actually visiting each other -- that detecting their existence and, perhaps, establishing some kind of very primitive communication with them (perhaps nothing beyond a mutual acknowledgement that each has detected the other) will ever be possible.

I recall reading a few years ago that the range for the largest SETI telescopes to detect an Earth-comparable civilization from its incidental emissions is on the order of 1000 light years. So the fact that we haven't detected anything yet really isn't that strong of evidence against E.T. since our search volume is pretty small. We're looking at about 5 million stars within that volume and the number of telescopes that have that kind of reach is very, very small and so the fraction of stars within that volume that have been examined is probably not that high. I'm sure lots of people have run the numbers under lots of different hypotheses and come up with a time frame whereby, given a particular search range, if we haven't found something we can start asserting with some level of confidence that intelligent life is actually very rare. But we also may never have the reach to ever make that assertion.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
It's mind boggling that the humble relationship of ohms law could be responsible for human evolution...

8 million years ago when local stars go supernova... ionisation of the lower atmosphere produces free electrons and lightning current flows more easily. Tada -- hominid bipedalism.

I assume ionisation of the air effectively shifts the ohms law equation to the right, increasing the current per unit of voltage for every unit of resistance
https://dailygalaxy.com/2019/05/sup...n-years-ago-led-proto-humans-to-walk-upright/
View attachment 178957
It's a matter of raw numbers. First, consider that if they stopped using radio waves 10,000 years ago but they are located a bit over 10,000 light years away, their final radio transmissions are just now getting to us. So if the universe is teaming with life, including intelligent life, there should be civilizations at pretty much all stages of that progression scattered throughout the universe. We can interact with (in terms of receiving) those civilizations that created (either intentionally or as a side effect of other activities) detectable emissions at a time in the past that corresponds to their distance from us. So consider a shell about our solar system that is 10,000 light-years in radius and 100 light-years thick. That's an immense volume of space. Using the stellar density in our neighborhood of 4 stars per thousand cubic light years we would expect to find about five hundred million stars in that volume, If any civilization was at a stage of development anywhere within that volume 10,000 years ago, their emissions are reaching us now. The same is true for every other volume of space looking back throughout time. So the likelihood that NO detectable emissions are reaching the Earth right now quickly becomes at odds with the notion that the universe is teaming with intelligent life.
This is a refreshing, and astute observation. This is one of the reasons the photo of Earth from Voyager is so special to me. Our planet is almost lost in the image, smaller than the smudge-pixel representing it. It is the color & hue of that pixel and antialiasing that reveals it in the void.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Thank you Carl Sagan (R.I.P.), for convincing JPL to do this, along with your many, many other amazing contributions.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
SamR said:
Funny you should mention that... I was wondering if it was still sqwaking after all these years. I thought I heard years ago that was almost out of range then.
I mentioned them a few posts back and Yes last I heard they were still receiving data from it.

Brzrkr