Newbie: Solid State Power Management for Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
Hello all

I hope I have come to the right place ! Nice to be here.

I have been scouring the net for a 12v DC motorcycle battery power management module/system. Spent over 2 weeks looking, at boards, modules, pre-built, kits, but cannot find what I need. Yes, they are out there as retail boxes but cost in the region of £100+ for what is quite basic function, and upto £500 for the most complex. I once opened up a Denali Power Hub costing over £150 and was horrified to see a simple board and a few wires. Surely i can do better.

I used to make my own boards and circuits back in the days when transistors were just evolving !! I would say my experience is DIYer although nowadays I hear stuff like Autodesk is an easy way to design and there are even online retailers that will take your design and send you the finished article populated with components. Wow! Things have come on havent they. Nowadays, I prefer to buy boards and hook them up to hardware, wrapping them inside an enclosure. Simple.

I was wondering whether you guys could recommend a *simple* way of building a box with the following characteristics.

1. Voltage input to the board: 12V Led Acid 8AH DC battery input (rising to ~13.5V when engine running
2. Solid state circuit breaker (4 channels) to drive 4x accessories, where *each* channel :-
* is capable of switching max 10A 12V,
* trips if switched current > 10A. Ideally I would like this to be configurable between 2A and 10A but not sure if this makes things complex.
* is triggered by a 12V high input (for example from a switch on the motorcycle switch gear)
3. waterproof enclosure (IP65) no bigger than large cigarette packet so limits board size

Any ideas; links would be really helpful. Be gentle, I'm 50+ !!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
When you say 'triggered', do you mean all 4 breakers close and supply their respective channels with 12V when one switched input goes high?
Do all 4 channels open when that switched input goes low?
Are the channel loads inductive or purely resistive?
If inductive, are motors involved?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello all

I hope I have come to the right place ! Nice to be here.

I have been scouring the net for a 12v DC motorcycle battery power management module/system. Spent over 2 weeks looking, at boards, modules, pre-built, kits, but cannot find what I need. Yes, they are out there as retail boxes but cost in the region of £100+ for what is quite basic function, and upto £500 for the most complex. I once opened up a Denali Power Hub costing over £150 and was horrified to see a simple board and a few wires. Surely i can do better.

I used to make my own boards and circuits back in the days when transistors were just evolving !! I would say my experience is DIYer although nowadays I hear stuff like Autodesk is an easy way to design and there are even online retailers that will take your design and send you the finished article populated with components. Wow! Things have come on havent they. Nowadays, I prefer to buy boards and hook them up to hardware, wrapping them inside an enclosure. Simple.

I was wondering whether you guys could recommend a *simple* way of building a box with the following characteristics.

1. Voltage input to the board: 12V Led Acid 8AH DC battery input (rising to ~13.5V when engine running
2. Solid state circuit breaker (4 channels) to drive 4x accessories, where *each* channel :-
* is capable of switching max 10A 12V,
* trips if switched current > 10A. Ideally I would like this to be configurable between 2A and 10A but not sure if this makes things complex.
* is triggered by a 12V high input (for example from a switch on the motorcycle switch gear)
3. waterproof enclosure (IP65) no bigger than large cigarette packet so limits board size

Any ideas; links would be really helpful. Be gentle, I'm 50+ !!
Seems simple and straight forward.
The only complexity is the "trips if switched current > 10A" part. In most automotive systems this is covered by a simple fuse. When the fuse blows you replace the fuse.

There is such a thing as a resettable fuse also known as polyfuse or PolySwitch.

Resettable blade fuses for automotive are also available.

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
Thank you Sirs for your responses

to clarify (please accept my apologies)....

The 4 switches are to control, independently, 12v 10A circuits. That is to say that each switch has a trigger line which is 12V and in its most basic form, is simply a switch connected to the same 12V DC + battery terminal and a ground point (chassis/frame).

Each circuit can support a load of upto 10A. So it is possible to have combinations of any of the 4 relays , either ON or OFF where they are normally closed (NOC). So when the switched input (trigger) goes high the switch closes and the circuit is made (closed).

Upto 4 Motorcycle accessories (each of upto 10A) will be attached to the +ve line of a switched channel. Each accessory will be grounded to the chassis. Switching of the accessory is as summarised above.

If i elect to use automotive fuses then this makes the device too large for motorcycles unless there is some way of using "mini" fuses?. I would like the device to be , at max, the dimensions of a 20 pack of cigarettes you see. Hence i am interested in solid state switching or circuit breakers or equiv. , or as a last resort - and if significantly cheaper - mini fuses.

Once again, thank you for your help and Im eagerly awaiting responses.

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
The 10 amp limit is arbitrary, I cannot think of anything that draws 10A on my vehicle, but aside if the circuit could just be opened (i.e. cut the power to the accessory) until such time as the load (accessory) is removed, that would be fine. If I have to reset it then that is fine, but I dont know how best this should/could be done ?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The 10 amp limit is arbitrary, I cannot think of anything that draws 10A on my vehicle, but aside if the circuit could just be opened (i.e. cut the power to the accessory) until such time as the load (accessory) is removed, that would be fine. If I have to reset it then that is fine, but I dont know how best this should/could be done ?
If it was me I would use common mini relays rated for 10 - 15 amps along with either mini blade fuses or compact resettable circuit breakers or self resetting circuit breakers. No need to over complicate a simple and well understood process.

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
If it was me I would use common mini relays rated for 10 - 15 amps along with either mini blade fuses or compact resettable circuit breakers or self resetting circuit breakers. No need to over complicate a simple and well understood process.
Yes, but as per the OP, can you be more helpful, with ideas on specific boards, boxes, or failing that, how I should go about building this 'Simple and well understood process' which of course you will have no problem in doing

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Yes, but as per the OP, can you be more helpful, with ideas on specific boards, boxes, or failing that, how I should go about building this 'Simple and well understood process' which of course you will have no problem in doing
Start by looking up the various components at online parts supply dealers like these (or others) and finding the items that you think best fit your wanted design criteria.

https://www.digikey.com , https://www.mouser.com , http://www.newark.com , https://www.jameco.com

After that, figure out how you want to mount and connect everything together which if you are new to electronics have a look at the various tutorial stuff the forum has under the various pull down tabs at the top of the page.

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
Start by looking up the various components at online parts supply dealers like these (or others) and finding the items that you think best fit your wanted design criteria.

https://www.digikey.com , https://www.mouser.com , http://www.newark.com , https://www.jameco.com

After that, figure out how you want to mount and connect everything together which if you are new to electronics have a look at the various tutorial stuff the forum has under the various pull down tabs at the top of the page.
Completely utterly useless , why did you bother replying.b I've been very specific of needs. Absolutely detest this sort of 'help'. Please don't bother

This isn't a helpful forum if you are the level of 'help'

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just remember, that like house wiring, vehicle wiring and fuses are to protect the wire itself, not the item attached to it.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Completely utterly useless , why did you bother replying.b I've been very specific of needs. Absolutely detest this sort of 'help'. Please don't bother

What sort of help do you want? No one here can read your mind or knows what your electronics knowledge or capabilities are.

From what I read you need a control box that takes a 12 volt DC input and gives four switched 12VDC outputs that have some sort of current limiting protection for each output. In common electronics power system design that easily done with simple relays and fuses or manual or self resetting circuit breakers as others and myself have already pointed out.

Without proper and courteous input from you nobody here is going to give you much of anything to work with that's cheap, easy to work with and practical to your likely limited range of present knowledge and skill.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

You're not likely to get a lot of help with such a crappy attitude. :rolleyes:

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
This forum is only as good as it members. The attitude is all on your side. Egotistical, narcissistic, arrogant, conceited and unhelpful bunch of fools. What is the point of setting up a help forum and they suggest a member "Start by looking up the various components at online parts supply dealers like these (or others) and finding the items that you think best fit your wanted design criteria."

I mean, for christs sake.

I shall join another forum more suited to providing help . This one is rather pointless

daz E

Joined Nov 7, 2017
Actually, to clarify, this entire website is wonderful. The forums are peppered with excellent knowledgeable individuals only too happy to help. Ive read many a thread and delight at the kind words of advice and encouragement from helpful members.

Quite why I fell upon a few members here on this thread who have got the self importance narcissistic attitude ,and possess the gall to single out my attitude , exemplifies precisely what I was saying and why the said individuals should give careful consideration to exactly why they are on this forum if they intend to provide "help" in this way. It really stinks of stuffy arrogance that you meet in the first year of University, I certainly do not want or need your kind of "help" @tcmtech @crutschow

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009

This forum is only as good as it members. The attitude is all on your side. Egotistical, narcissistic, arrogant, conceited and unhelpful bunch of fools. What is the point of setting up a help forum and they suggest a member "Start by looking up the various components at online parts supply dealers like these (or others) and finding the items that you think best fit your wanted design criteria."

I mean, for christs sake.

I shall join another forum more suited to providing help . This one is rather pointless
Hello daz, you are correct. "This forum is only as good as it members."
Guess what, you are one of the members.
An internet forum is like any social gathering. You meet some and then you meet some.
You were the one who walked up to a bunch of buddies, asked a question, got some answers and then started the criticism. Walk away if you must.

If you want to resume the conversation, PM me and we can reopen this thread. We can delete the irrelevant posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.