Newbie live sound effect project

MP90

Joined Oct 9, 2014
Hi members,

At school i've received an assigment in which me and my classmates are to design a simple circuit for display. Of couse the more complicated and working projects will receive higher scores.
Seeing i have just finished a sound engineering study, my idea is to make a live sound effect generator.

How it should work is that sound needs to be amplified and/or recorded by using a small microphone.
This microphone will be switched on via a push switch with LED indicating the status.

The amplified signal needs to be given an effect (IC?) after which it's to be listened to live via a small speaker.
The small PCB which I also have to produce using Eagle needs to be around 110 to 90 mm and is connected to two magnetic strips which will supply 5 volts DC.

Being a novice could someone give me some pointers on how to start designing and maybe some ideas on components and excisting schematics to use?

Thanks in advance

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are a number of toys out there that do this - record a voice and play it back with an effect applied, or apply a range of effects to a megaphone output in real time. Is that what you want to make? Some reverse engineering may be a starting point.

MP90

Joined Oct 9, 2014
Yes, that's exactly it! I have been searching online though and can't really find any simple ic's that can add an effect.
Is there maybe a specific name for these components which I can search for?