Need white led for motion light

bob2019

Joined Oct 19, 2019
I bought a battery powered (4 AA) light from Home Depot that has an amber led. I want to swap it out for a white led but I can't seem to find one (not exactly sure what to search for). Below is a picture of the led; seems to be on a circuit board:
off.jpg
lit.jpg
Anyone have a suggestion for a source?
The batteries output was ~5.0 v and when lit, the voltage across the light was ~3.0 v.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Bob

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Check the DigiKey catalog, they offer quite a few LEDs. And those solar powered decorative lights use a bright white LED, but the leads may be quite short.

bob2019

Joined Oct 19, 2019
I did check them but I'm not an electronics guy (reason for my posting here :) ). Not sure how to interpret the 20K+ results when searching for LED on Digikey..

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Without knowing the details of the design of the circuit that drives the LED we cannot make a solid recommendation for a replacement. Generally speaking (writing) white LEDs (which are actually UV LEDs and rely on phosphors to convert the wavelengths to longer ones) require a higher voltage than amber LEDs. You can try just buying a white LED that looks like it has the same physical form factor as the LED you want to replace via eBay or any other place, and then change your amber LED to the new white LED. If it is not bright enough, then we might delve into the actual drive circuit.

bob2019

Joined Oct 19, 2019
Thanks Dick; I'm going to buy a cheap solar powered lamp at the Dollar Store and see what happens after swapping it out. Only cost me a buck and some time.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
That type of led you show is called a "cob led" Chip On Board....https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20191022120315&SearchText=cob+led&switch_new_app=y

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
With a $4.95 motion sensor package it is probably not a sophisticated LED driver circuit, and so the white LED taking about 3.2 volts will work quite well. Attaching and especially removing surface mount parts that are also stuck in place can be challenging.