Need some help with unique but simple circuit

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
bought an Arduino kit
Which Arduino did you get?

When I said it was micro USB earlier, I must have had Raspberry Pi Zero W on the brain (my current project uses one). It's been awhile since I used Arduino. Uno uses a full sized USB A-B cable. Nano uses a mini USB.

PaulCalif

Joined Oct 14, 2018
I got this kit,
"ELEGOO UNO Project Super Starter Kit with Tutorial and UNO R3 Compatible with Arduino IDE"
Lots of good reviews but I honestly don't know what it is :-(

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
Until the would be thieves see the same beer cans there every day all day every night all night, no change in activity. Fool me once, shame on you. Try to fool me twice - I'll take the beer and tools.
Yeah, it depends on the location of the decoy. If it's near a frontage road where people drive back and forth, the jig would be up in a day or two. If it can only be seen on the approach to a private residence, then it might work better, especially behind a locked gate. The perps are often shameless, and we can't always determine their "rational" behaviors. You could catch them in the act, and they still go about their business loading up your t.v. set. I don't have a problem where I live with this sort of thing, yet. However, when I go on vacation, I leave a hundred dollar bill on the bedroom bureau. The perps most often just want to get their fix on, and usually do not want to stay on premises more than 5 minutes. A decoy Franklin can keep your place from being trashed, esecially with an audible alarm set for slight delay upon entry (maybe a sensor under the bill?) Police psychology research has lots of advice about all this sort of thing. Locking window,doors works, because breaking is a much more serious charge than simple entering or theft. Of course, a lot depends on how vigorous your local prosecutor is.

Maybe infared laser tripwires with sounders might work to freek-out interlopers? Sigh, it's hard to beat a good dog for this sort of task.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would keep it simple. They make LED lamps which are the equivalent of the older incandescent automotive bulbs. Replace the original bulbs with LED, here is several examples of the old classic 1157 lamp. Buy a 12 volt battery charging solar panel and place it on the roof flat. Use original wiring and lamp sockets. As to what the lamps do and when I would go with any easily programmed micro controller of your choice. I would have lights active dusk till dawn as it is simpler than a clock scheme. This can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.

I also agree with MrAl in that a good thief will figure this out real fast. A good home alarm system which sends you notifications as well as the local law enforcement is likely the best solution.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Yeah, it depends on the location of the decoy. If it's near a frontage road where people drive back and forth, the jig would be up in a day or two. If it can only be seen on the approach to a private residence, then it might work better, especially behind a locked gate. The perps are often shameless, and we can't always determine their "rational" behaviors. You could catch them in the act, and they still go about their business loading up your t.v. set. I don't have a problem where I live with this sort of thing, yet. However, when I go on vacation, I leave a hundred dollar bill on the bedroom bureau. The perps most often just want to get their fix on, and usually do not want to stay on premises more than 5 minutes. A decoy Franklin can keep your place from being trashed, esecially with an audible alarm set for slight delay upon entry (maybe a sensor under the bill?) Police psychology research has lots of advice about all this sort of thing. Locking window,doors works, because breaking is a much more serious charge than simple entering or theft. Of course, a lot depends on how vigorous your local prosecutor is.

Maybe infared laser tripwires with sounders might work to freek-out interlopers? Sigh, it's hard to beat a good dog for this sort of task.
For many years I've envisioned an alarm system with - not a siren - but a woman's voice screaming bloody murder over a loud speaker where thieves can't easily reach. Home or car alarm - a burglar trips that off and he'll poop his teeth. (my opinion)