Need asaistance to close a circuit

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Hey there all, all the way from South Africa, I am new here, using the mobile version, I dont see member introductions, so this is my first post. Hope to meet some good people here.

My situation is as follows, im not a electronic wiss but I learn quickly and have always been able to help myself but to a limit...

I was busy installing a remote start alarm system on my motorcycle and after everything installed I am presented with a problem. Ok so I have to explain in detail so you guys can understand why I need to create this circuit. My bike works like this, even under normal circumstances it will only start once I have pulled the clutch lever, its a safety feature so you dont start the bike while its in gear.. ok so now I have installed an alarm system that has a feature thar remotlre starts the bike so it can warm up, even though the key is not in the ignition.. quute cool.... But the problem is it wont start as the clutch is not pulled.

Now the clutch has a small switch inside that is N/O and only goes toe N/C when pulled. I need to create a circuite that would close the circuit between the two wires going to that swhitch as soon as I press the button... It should not supply any voltage, only close the circuit.

So from the alarm there is a blue wire that is directly connected to the starter solenoid, thus it gives the starter power as soon as the button is pressed, but only for like a sexondor two, thus the bike starts. Well I was thinking If I could use something like a transistor or maybe a very small solenoid or something to allow this blue wire to close that circuit without giving it any power, that would work perfectly.

I thought it best to ask here by the professionals at circuit building, surely you guys woukd have a better idea than I have.. I was hoping to keep the whole setup as small as possible as I want to hide it.

Guys thanks in advance for any and all advice.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Doesn't the clutch switch just inhibit the starter circuit (it does on my cycle)?
Can't you bypass that with the starter wire from your alarm?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Bypassing the clutch-pull safety feature is DANGEROUS. as it would mean that if the bike was left in gear its rear wheel would spin as soon as you operated the remote start. That could seriously injure someone, e.g. a child, next to the bike.

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
What about a small relay across the start solenoid power?
Max.
That could work, but how would I wire it and what is small? Can you post an example?

Welcome to AAC!
Bypassing the clutch-pull safety feature is DANGEROUS. as it would mean that if the bike was left in gear its rear wheel would spin as soon as you operated the remote start. That could seriously injure someone, e.g. a child, next to the bike.
I understand that yes, but I have already checked, due to the stand switch the bike wont start, it just cranks.. so the worst that can happen is crank and fall over. Anyways I never leave my bike in gear and I alwasa lock the steering wheel.

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Also I cant cant bridge the wires on the clutch switch as on my model the ECU doenst like the circuuc to be closed all the time.. i know rhis due to experience where my clutch switch was faulty and bike would start misfire and would randomly cut out... Also I confirmed this on the Suzuki Forums... My model has to have the switch

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So does the switch just have to be closed during the start, or does it need to remain closed for some time after the start?

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
So does the switch just have to be closed during the start, or does it need to remain closed for some time after the start?
Just when you start. As soon as you pull off and release the clutch, the switch is open. The most important is the circuit needs to be closed for the duration the starter cranks over. And that is like 2 seconds.. max 3. Thus I was thinking to use the actual blue wire from the alarm system that gives power to the starter solenoid.. so as soon as the starter stops, the circuit will open again, by then the bike is running

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thus I was thinking to use the actual blue wire from the alarm system that gives power to the starter solenoid.. so as soon as the starter stops, the circuit will open again, by then the bike is running
Then you should be able to just connect a 12V mechanical relay across the switch wires, energized by the blue wire.
Any small relay with a 12Vdc coil should work.

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Is there another switch in the transmission to indicate neutral?
Yes there is and there is also a switch in the side stand which prohibits you from starting he bike when any one of them are not where they should be. The only switch that is prohibiting the remote alarm to start the bike though, is the clutch switch... I dont know why

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Then you should be able to just connect a 12V mechanical relay across the switch wires, energized by the blue wire.
Any small relay with a 12Vdc coil should work.
What is the smallest relay that one gets? I am very limited with space on the bike... Or would I just have to get a normal 12 relay like the ones you use for spotlights or whatever

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Yes there is and there is also a switch in the side stand which prohibits you from starting he bike when any one of them are not where they should be. The only switch that is prohibiting the remote alarm to start the bike though, is the clutch switch... I dont know why
Would have neen great If I could have wired it in a way that the blue wire only gives power to the starter when all of those are in the correct position... I personally dont don why they added the clutch switch + neutral indicator when the bike doesnt start when either is on. I guess it is so that you can start the bike in gear when the ckutch is pulled as that is possible

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Would one like this be sufficiently small?
Do you get that type of a relay in a N/O also? Im thinking to wire another relay into the remote starter that would read when the nutral light is on, to trigger the relay to close a circuit to the starter relay from the alarm. This way the bike would never be able to crank when it is left in gear

Henniebrandweer

Joined Nov 7, 2018
Apologies... I got confused... Ok so then I get 2 of them, and I can wire the other one so thatit only closes the circuit between the alarm remote start wire and starter solenoid when the neutral switch is illuminated... Right? That would add way more safety. Then the bike will never ever even crank over when the remote start is pressed and the bike is in gear

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Henniebrandweer........PLEASE STOP!

You don't not have the knowledge......to interfere/mod with an auto safety device.

The only thing your one track mind is on....is to remotely start your auto.

But you are changing/defeating the safety features of said auto/bike.

There is a way to install your mod......without defeating those features. Let a certified bike mechanic do the mod.

Do not do it yourself.

No one on this site should help modify a safety device....unless ALL safety features are restored and operational.

There is probably some rule in our site rules against this. This is bad juju.

When an accident happens.....the manufacture....or insurance company will say they are not at fault because of your mod.

And you will say........But...But...AAC said this would work!!!!!!!!

Bad JUJU.