Need a shiny aluminum can ?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Believe it or not, this is my first post.
A friend showed me some bright shiny cans and offerered the secret if I was interested. My best efforts in past was to leave cans in the sun for a month or two, then clean with acetone. Not completely clear but mostly useable.
While cooking a corned beef, as per instructions ,I included a clean Coors can. Cooked for 30 min. @ 20 #, beef was good but no change to can on wiping with acetone. Today before putting cooker away tried again with a stack of mixed cans, de topped & bottomed. Cooked for 30 m @ 20 # & colors flushed away with application on acetone- except for the one Coors can.
Might have to go back to making airplanes again.
If my spelling is not up to snuff, just blame it on my turning 90 this month.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Try brake fluid next time. I've never seen it fail to remove ink or paint on any metal surface. Takes some time 12 to 24 hours.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
People use the thin aluminum from cans as a cheap material to build models like below. Not everyone wants a Pepsi or Coke logo on their project so they are always looking for ways to strip the paint off of cans without damaging the shine on the aluminum. See way below for stripped can model.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe it was the first posted thread that I remember. I wonder what the other 15 were?
Somewhere under Bernard's Projects there are some airplane pictures & other misc. but none near the F4U
quality; same person I believe, made a P51 .
Rivets may not be to scale but still look good when made by rolling a clock gear along the back side. I do not go for true scale, just close enough to be identifiable.