Music that makes you feel something

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm spinning off from the "Music that makes you smile" thread because most of the music I would like to share is not sugar frosted feel-good music. Anyone following that thread knows that my Metal offerings didn't fit in.

My first post here is not metal, but my all-time favorite Country song. I think this is just a great song, whether you think you like Country or not. By today's definition I hate "Country." But this comes from, according to the world as I know it, the time just before Country was irrevocably perverted by pop and became nothing but shallow synthetic noise about trucks and beer.

This is actual music made with actual instruments and actual singing. It tells a story, it's powerful, and it's beautiful.

I know that according to the world as others know it, even this song might come after (and may even be part of) the death of country. So if you'd like to show us some "real" country from even further back in the day, I'll watch and listen.

Or share some rock, a capella, Metal, violin solos, mandolin battles, whatever you want so long as it's guaranteed to alter heartbeats.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
The songs of the ancient Norse tend to be quite heartfelt and sincere. I do of course enjoy the music of other cultures as well, but nothing make me feel more alive than to hear the sound of that drum, the soaring vocals, the low meditative humming sounds oft times heard emanating from the throats of singers. I can't explain it. It just heals me!

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I grew up in England in the 40s and early 50s, I learned to enjoy classical music and traditional jazz that I heard on BBC radio. In my teens it was big-bands. I learned to appreciate music played by skilled musicians. The 50s and 60s pop music and 70s disco didn't appeal to me at all. It wasn't until the 80s that heavy metal was born and it stirred my soul. The clarity and versatility of the skilled musicians in Ronnie James Dio's group really got my attention. This is still one of my favorite pieces of all time, "Lock Up The Wolves":

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I don't like Russians. Here is a great Ukrainian band
Interesting that music can make you come up with that. It is a russian band that many find has same scandinavian sound and directly compare it to the band you posted.

Music unites the world... but apparently some are beyond hope :(

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I grew up in England in the 40s and early 50s, I learned to enjoy classical music and traditional jazz that I heard on BBC radio. In my teens it was big-bands.
Me too, I tried my hand at the Clarinet, but glad I did not give up my day job !! :p

Did you tune in to Radio Luxembourg?
You could only get it after sunset, when the Ionosphere came down lower.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Everything I listen to. What is the point of listening to music if it doesn’t?

Bob
I sometimes listen to music to drown out noise; ambient and/or intracranial. When it's the latter I prefer something that does not evoke strong feelings or thought.
Something like this:
(I have a couple of pandora channels based on this song)

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Me too, I tried my hand at the Clarinet, but glad I did not give up my day job !! :p

Did you tune in to Radio Luxembourg?
You could only get it after sunset, when the Ionosphere came down lower.
Yes, in my teens I had my homebuilt super-regenerative radio receiver sprawled across my bedroom window sill. In the evenings, I used to listen to all the latest music on Radio Luxembourg and the American Forces Network in Stuttgart, much to the annoyance of my parents!