Multiplex IC 5 inputs and 5 outputs custom?

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Hey all I am wanting to know if there is an IC that allows me to do the following:

1. - Have 5 inputs
  2. - Have 5 outputs
  3. - Ability to take any input # and direct it to any output #

The latter bullet there is the main goal.

So in the image example above say that I needed the following examples:

Input 1 output to output 4.
Input 3 output to Output 1.
Input 3 output to Output 3.
Input 4 output to Output 1.
Input 1 output to Output 1.
Input 2 output to Output 5.

...and so on....

What I would be hooking up to the input would be either Ground, 5V or 3.3V which would need to output the same as its input.

Note that I plan on using an Arduino so if the IC requires interaction from the Arduino in order to switch the outputs then I will have the means to do so.

Is there any IC that would allow me to do the above?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Will there only be one output active at a time ? Most analogue multiplexors have a significant ON resistace so what is the nature of the load on the outputs ? There may be a single IC here that will do what you want but it should also be possible to make up a crosspoint switch from 5 standard 4000 series analogue multiplexors.

Les.

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
I will need to be able to use all of the inputs and outputs at the same time.

Example:
Input 1 --> Output 4 (5v)
Input 2 --> Output 1 (RX)
Input 3 --> Output 5 (TX)
Input 4 --> Output 2 (3.3v)
Input 5 --> Output 3 (gnd)

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I think you could do what you want using five CD4051 ICs. I think some of the crosspoint switches I linked to in post #2 will do what you want. I have never used a crosspoint switch so I have no practical experience of using them.

Les.

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Would the Crosspoint switch work even if its Analog for the RX/TX? The RX/TX/5v/3.3v/grd will be coming into the IC via a FTDI ft232r chip. Also most of these I've seen are either for Audio/Video or LVDS signals?

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
What I am looking to accomplish is taking this layout:

and connecting those pogo pins to the multiplex/demultiplexer/crossbar switch/cross point switch in order to allow for different pcb models that have different pin layouts in order to flash firmware to them using the FTDI.

Hopefully knowing that allows you to understand the overall design of what I am trying to do.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can also do the switching with a bunch of CD4066 quad analog switches, They conduct both ways which can be handy, and they will work for some digital circuits. OR, if you only have a limited number of patterns, you could use some of those low powered 6 or 8 pole cube relays. The wiring will be tedious but the relays are very low resistance and good for a lot more current than the multiplex IC devices.