MSW inverter sine wave in an off grid power system

musselbeach

Joined Dec 18, 2011
When I bought the Generac 7kv propane generator which I have installed, it came with a transfer switch which is designed to switch from hydro to generator when hydro drops out.
I thought I maybe able to hook up my solar,wind,battery power system through a 24vdc to 220v ac modified sine wave 5000 watt inverter which I have already bought. but when I received it it only had 2 wire output not the 220/110 split phase output needed? it has 4 universal plugs for the 220vac output (only 2 wires hooked up) but they are parallelled up from 4 diff. cct boards.
I am not familiar with the design but in the instructions it says it raises the 24vdc to 300vdc then converts this using advanced MOSFET transistors in a full bridge configuration. It also says its capable to start and run difficult reactive loads.
I am wondering if I bought a 220v to 220/110v split phase transformer and put that between the inverter and the transfer switch. The two 110v legs need only to supply about 1000 watts each.
I do not want to buy a transformer which will cost me around 300$ plus shipping just to blow every thing up??

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
With the power levels you are working with, I'd strongly suggest having a certified electrician take a look at it.

Home insurance doesn't cover fire due to own-made electrical modifications, and your local municipality may require a permit as well.

musselbeach

Joined Dec 18, 2011
I am to far in the wildness for any fire insurance and a electrician could not help us. He sugested an elecrical enginner but that is very expensive.

musselbeach

Joined Dec 18, 2011
I have looked at those tansformers you mentioned they are made for using north american electrical devices over in europe and vise versa.
They are 220 to 110v only so I would have to use 2 of them to connect to my 220/120 split phase panel in my house. I would think that it would introduce twise the amount of paracitic losses??
Toroid transformer would be the best but I have fat chance of finding one.
Hey I am 70 years old and when I went for my degree in electrical technology I was taught the tube theory. And after that my specialty was in Microwave anntenna and waveguide transmission systems. Although I was thinking of buying one those transformers to test out the viability of the match up as it would be a cheap solution of getting split phase 2 - 110volts 180 degrees out of phase and a grounded neutral (by joining two of transformers legs together which is needed.
Thank you for looking though.
I have been wondering if any one out there really knows or tried puting a transformer on a MSW inverter before They can handly motors fine that we know but they are procing energy. A transformer in the other hand the transformer could site idle???

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Almost any solution you end up using will suffer from transforming losses. I offered those as a LOW cost way to provide 110vac from your source 220vac without high complexity and the added bonus of being robust and reliable low parts count devices.

Motor starting is a nasty bag or worms. Some motors will operate fine, others with high current needs on startup (sometimes 10 times the running amps) may not start at all or will stall and overheat while trying. I've run an AC unit on a 1500 watt inverter along with small things like the computer and TV/Radio during a hurricane power outage. If all other devices were off, the AC unit started easily, but not with other power drawing the reserve capacity of the inverter down. Every solution will have drawbacks, so your problem is one of deciding what problems you can 'live with'. Big $$$ makes drawbacks a smaller portion of the equation.

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Last edited:

musselbeach

Joined Dec 18, 2011
Yes I have rec'd a quote from them already but they want over $400 plus shipping of another $100 plus which is a little to much for my budget.
I think I will try and get one of those chineese 220 to 110 5000 watt transformers they are selling for the people that go back and forth from America to Europe they run around $100 plus shipping unless I can find one to buy on Vancouver island where if it craps out I can take it back.
I could always Just conect 2 sides of my electrical panel so it all runs off 110 volts. I would also have to only use 1/2 of my 220v propane generator. I could all ways switch it back when I can afford a proper 230 volt grounded center tap neutral inverter which will run me over 2000$.
What do you people think??
Hey I realy apreciate all your inputs.
Ron

musselbeach

Joined Dec 18, 2011
I had a look a the subject link and I have seen that also be for but is does not have a secondary center tap and is is used for an interely differant purpuse. Thank you for that I am having a real proplem trying to find
like the one in the attached diagram.

Attachments