Motor rewind help

Hbab

Joined Sep 1, 2020
Hi guys,

I’m a trainee in motor rewinding, due to furlough I’ve been pretty much working on my own the last 4 months so trying to teach myself to some success but also becoming stuck as I am now. I have an old Woods of Colchester 60slot single phase 8pole perm cap 220/240 volt fan motor. It’s a vc37029 type.
I traced the connections and miked the leads and found that the z winding is size 0.450 whilst the a winding is 0.475. However whilst I was counting the turns I noticed that on one set of the coils it looked smaller and on measuring the wire found it to be 0.400. Problem is I have no idea where it goes or came from as I have stripped the stator and the crown was destroyed on removal.
My question is; What effect will winding the motor with only the two sizes of wire I found off the leads would it have on the motor? If possibly four of the eight coils on either the start or the run is 0.400 and I wind it with either 0.450 or 0.475, increasing the cross sectional area, would I still achieve the desired rpm or will it affect that as well as the current? And also, is it possible?

Also these were quite common back in the day so if someone has any winding details it would be much appreciated. It’s a long shot but I’m stuck...attached

TIA

H

Attachments

Hbab

Joined Sep 1, 2020
Boy, that takes me back, Condenser!!?
I can look up my Rosenberg winding manual later, may show some insight!
Max.
Thanks very much, however I’ve cracked it :) Not literally of course but I have managed to ascertain the correct configuration. :) On a side note, any information regarding winding fundamentals for 2speed motors would be extremely helpful, I can only wind the layered type and haven’t got my head round tapping in just yet. I have only been in the trade for 17months so not doing too badly I feel.

H

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you intend getting in to motor rewinding, I suggest you get a copy of Electric Motor Repair by Robert Rosenberg, if you do not already have.
It is quite a few decades old, but still very relevant, and considered 'The Bible' of motors & winding.
Max.

Hbab

Joined Sep 1, 2020
If you intend getting in to motor rewinding, I suggest you get a copy of Electric Motor Repair by Robert Rosenberg, if you do not already have.
It is quite a few decades old, but still very relevant, and considered 'The Bible' of motors & winding.
Max.
Thanks Max, I currently work for a firm as a trainee winder, problem is I’m training myself at the moment as I am the only one left here with any sort of(little) winding knowledge. I’m sure I’ve seen a copy of that in the workshop so I will have a look.

Thanks
H