Motor +generator schematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I should make a confession on this subject. Born in 1950 I was a child of the 60s. My father was an EE and a good one in addition to being a ham radio operator. As a child I wanted to be just like him and early on my life was crystal radios, look no batteries. The 1N34 Germanium diode was my best friend. I went to gas stations gathering old car batteries, remember those with the lead connectors between cells exposed? My mother thought it odd that when she washed my clothes they came out with holes in them. Damn that battery acid! :) Anyway I got two 12 volt generators from the junk yard and thought it was really neat that when I applied 12 volts to the output terminal they ran like a motor but in the reverse direction they turned as a generator. I was pretty excited about that. Think I was about 11 at the time. When I asked my father things he would generally hand me a book to read. I still have some of those books. So I figure if I use a generator as a motor driving a generator I have something for nothing. So I manage to lag the two generators to a board and used a V belt in an X configuration so my motor turned my generator the right way. I even found a voltage regulator for my generator side. Obviously it never worked but my father watched and of course handed me another book. This was just one of many of my failed experiments but from each I learned. Not that I didn't believe people but I was the type kid who had to see for himself. Years earlier I got a lesson from a Proctor Silex toaster. That was a shocking experience, never jam a butter knife into a glowing toaster element. Bad things happen. :)

Ron

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I should make a confession on this subject. Born in 1950 I was a child of the 60s. My father was an EE and a good one in addition to being a ham radio operator. As a child I wanted to be just like him and early on my life was crystal radios, look no batteries. The 1N34 Germanium diode was my best friend. I went to gas stations gathering old car batteries, remember those with the lead connectors between cells exposed? My mother thought it odd that when she washed my clothes they came out with holes in them. Damn that battery acid! :) Anyway I got two 12 volt generators from the junk yard and thought it was really neat that when I applied 12 volts to the output terminal they ran like a motor but in the reverse direction they turned as a generator. I was pretty excited about that. Think I was about 11 at the time. When I asked my father things he would generally hand me a book to read. I still have some of those books. So I figure if I use a generator as a motor driving a generator I have something for nothing. So I manage to lag the two generators to a board and used a V belt in an X configuration so my motor turned my generator the right way. I even found a voltage regulator for my generator side. Obviously it never worked but my father watched and of course handed me another book. This was just one of many of my failed experiments but from each I learned. Not that I didn't believe people but I was the type kid who had to see for himself. Years earlier I got a lesson from a Proctor Silex toaster. That was a shocking experience, never jam a butter knife into a glowing toaster element. Bad things happen. :)

Ron
Around the same age I had an idea very similar to TS and got a similar (much worse) online flogging and intro to physics as TS, in a newsgroup. Nobody knew I was a kid.

It's probably a good thing I got such a scalding education so early in life, otherwise I might be the one on this forum today talking about a water wheel that pumps water to itself, and asking for a schematic for how to connect a generator to it. Because naturally I would assume that someone would have a schematic for such a revolutionary discovery (my revolutionary discovery no less), just laying around gathering dust.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Every now and then the subject comes up and will continue to do so. Actually it's one of several. As I pointed out a few post back, I tried it and only after my failed attempts understood why it simply was not going to happen. Since it was all very pre Internet and forums I had to accept the explanation of others. However, I accepted the wisdom of those with knowledge without question or back talk. In addition to a lesson in basic electronics and physics the thread starter could use a lesson in humility. When years of experience tells you something can't be done and explains why take it for what it is worth. I have no problem explaining that it won't work and a basic why but I also expect the questioner to believe what I tell them and not question it. Most of those asking haven't a clue what "over unity" actually is.

Something I am currently working on and developing is my matter transfer device which many of you know as the beam me up Scotty machine. My plan is to beam an ex-wife into the middle of a brick wall. Several others also but main focus on ex-wife. :)

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The TS wasn't believing what he was told here! So he went to ETO and was told the same thing, but so far he isn't fighting over there. May be hope for him yet.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The TS wasn't believing what he was told here! So he went to ETO and was told the same thing, but so far he isn't fighting over there. May be hope for him yet.
You don't develop an attitude with people who are trying to help you. :)

I responded in ETO. :) I was even nice, guess I am just in a good mood today. :)

Ron

Last edited:

Jon Hoover

Joined Oct 10, 2019
This subject makes me think of when I was a kid and I wondered why 2-9 volt batteries is series producing 18 volts couldn't be used to start a car that only required 12 volts. Obviously I didn't understand the relationship between voltage and current at that age. I also had to smile when he asked about putting a potentiometer in series with the motor/generator. Wouldn't that eat up some of the energy produced? I am thinking that he must have friends that will listen to whatever he has to say and they think he's a genius. We all know for a fact that you can't break even, let alone create energy with a machine like that. Sometimes you just have to burn yourself to realize that fire is hot even though everyone has told you it is. Best of luck to him in the future but being an ass about it when he is told something is impossible isn't a good way to make friends and/or get help.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This subject makes me think of when I was a kid and I wondered why 2-9 volt batteries is series producing 18 volts couldn't be used to start a car that only required 12 volts. Obviously I didn't understand the relationship between voltage and current at that age. I also had to smile when he asked about putting a potentiometer in series with the motor/generator. Wouldn't that eat up some of the energy produced? I am thinking that he must have friends that will listen to whatever he has to say and they think he's a genius. We all know for a fact that you can't break even, let alone create energy with a machine like that. Sometimes you just have to burn yourself to realize that fire is hot even though everyone has told you it is. Best of luck to him in the future but being an ass about it when he is told something is impossible isn't a good way to make friends and/or get help.
Oh yeah, forgot about those things. Been there and done that. :) My learning curve was pretty steep as a kid.

Ron

Steven Rice

Joined Mar 5, 2021
I drew a rudimentary schematic for my motor+generator project. I included a potentiometer to control the speed of the motor. Do you think I should do anything else for this schematic? I'm kind of afraid that I should use something like a resistive/capacitive part of the circuit?

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If your motor draws significant current your potentiometer will probably die, unless it is an expensive high-power wire-wound one.

Status
Not open for further replies.