Modern Technology Resistance

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm doing a fairly successful job of resisting the Windows 10 push. I know it is not a viable long term strategy , but I would be interested in some discussion about why and for how long other folks might be in the same boat with me.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My desk PC video card is not compatible with Win 10, so apparently I'll have to eventually buy a new computer, since it is a small Dell with non-standard parts.

Since I screwed up my lappier OS the upgrade was a good thing overall.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I'm in the same boat.

I'm running Windows 7 at the moment and it's probably my stubborness that's stopping me from doing the free upgrade to Windows 10?

My two daughters have both gone with Windows 10 from 7 and haven't looked back! They are both heavy PC users using all the usually social media s**t and they are also avid gamers. They say it's great and all applications and programs that ran in Win 7 work OK in Win 10.

Resistance is futile and I will upgrade before the free offer ends.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I'm doing a fairly successful job of resisting the Windows 10 push. I know it is not a viable long term strategy , but I would be interested in some discussion about why and for how long other folks might be in the same boat with me.
I'm still trying to work up the courage. If I really thought it was faster I might jump on it.
I have one win 7 & one win 8. I think I would rather do the windows 8 one to make it look more like windows 7. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have a half dozen Win 7 machines and I just don't see the need to go through the whole shakedown process for all my systems to see if everything still works. There is precious little in the way of harware improvements coming down the pike and the performance of all the machines is more than acceptable. I'm thinking of buying another refurb from Newegg as a stalking horse. I'm very happy with the one I bought just after the New Year, a Dell Latitude 6400, with Win 7 Professional 64-Bit. for $219.00

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Why? Because Windows 10 is not 'Modern Technology' but, rather, personal-data harvesting adware -- or, succinctly; 'Corporate Big Brotherism' at it's worst (that's being too nice to it!:mad:).

How long? To such time as desirable software (Incl hardware drivers) is no longer adequately supported by Win7 --- When I will have migrated to 'Fedora' (which being a 'flavor' of Linux).

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
As a test I upgraded a laptop I use in my shop to Win 10. It went pretty flawless. Everything still works. Win 10 is a bit of an attitude change though. (RANT/ON) It makes no qualms about forcing you to install updates at shut down. You have no choice, including Microsoft's select Apps that you can't delete. Notice the name has been changed from programs to Apps. Also, you don't send an email anymore, it is now a "conversation". IT IS NOT A CONVERSATION!! is a one line note to your buddy confirming that you will meet him for a beer after work. Some wet nosed propeller head programmer that has a Facebook interface surgically implanted into brain came up with that one. Can't we have an operating system that looks like it was designed by someone older than 14 and that it doesn't sell all of your personal information to the highest bidder?? I DON"T WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU LINUX FREAKS AND THAT INCLUDES APPLE!!! I had enough of command line programming back in the 80s with DOS. I don't think #12 will ever be the same after converting to Linux. I bet he will soon start replying in command line speak like, "sudo copy-file CNCUPSMF4100ZS.ppd< desktop" well, Ubuntu my butt. So there! (RANT/OFF)

:D

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Every day when I start my Win 7 machine, I get the Win 10 nag screen, but I just X it out. I have a spare hard drive in the Win 7 box, and I am trying to get up the courage to load Ubuntu on it and try again. I hate Microsoft, but I am afraid to give it up.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
I had to dragged kicking and screaming from Windows 95 to XP. Have now got used to XP and although we use & at work I am sticking with XP till it drops dead.I just wish they powers would leave things alone once they have a half way decent system and just concentrate on fixes that need to be done instead of coming out with "new" versions every other year.