Missing alerts

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm not receiving some alerts to threads that I've subscribed to.

For instance, I've not received the most recent alerts to the Picture This... thread, and to the Re-writing your ancestry thread.
The "Unwatch Thread" link on top of those pages is being shown in my screen, which proves that I'm actually watching them, but something seems amiss.

@strantor has also commented that he was not alerted to my tag in the Tales from the grill... thread.

What's going on?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
I can't explain your first issues, but I'll look into it.

In regards to your "Tales from the grill..." post (I want to eat everything you posted), XF has a permission "Maximum tag alerts per message" which defaults to 10. I suppose it's in place to prevent spam/abuse. Unfortunately everyone after atferrari won't be alerted.

I just upped it to 25, which should be adequate.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I can't explain your first issues, but I'll look into it.

In regards to your "Tales from the grill..." post (I want to eat everything you posted), XF has a permission "Maximum tag alerts per message" which defaults to 10. I suppose it's in place to prevent spam/abuse. Unfortunately everyone after atferrari won't be alerted.

I just upped it to 25, which should be adequate.
Thank you!... and I didn't know about the 10 tag limit, btw...
and stay tuned to the grilling thread... many more goodies are coming, I promise... ;)

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Do you have any previous unread alerts from that thread by any chance? If so I don't think you will receive any more alerts for that thread until it's 'read'

Did you get an alert for my reply in this thread?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Do you have any previous unread alerts from that thread by any chance? If so I don't think you will receive any more alerts for that thread until it's 'read'

Did you get an alert for my reply in this thread?
Yes I did get an alert for this latest reply of yours, thank you.
Do you mean to say that if I don't click on an alert and read the post that it's pointing to, then the system won't alert me anymore about that particular thread?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Yes I did get an alert for this latest reply of yours, thank you.
Do you mean to say that if I don't click on an alert and read the post that it's pointing to, then the system won't alert me anymore about that particular thread?
From my understanding of XF, yep - otherwise, if there were 20 new posts you would receive 20 new alerts. Alert overload!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Just to clarify... sometimes, when I receive an alert, I check what's it about on the pull down menu, but then I let it be for a few moments and allow it to fade by itself, never clicking on the link directing me to the referred thread, and just ignoring things... would that have anything to do with later alerts not being reported?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
@cmartinez - I believe that is the issue yep. For 'replied to thread' alerts, you need to actually click them in order to receive future alerts about new replies.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
@cmartinez - I believe that is the issue yep. For 'replied to thread' alerts, you need to actually click them in order to receive future alerts about new replies.
o_O ..... interesting... so maybe all I have to do now is go to the "Unread Watched Threads" section of my profile and click on each of them so as to flag them as read... and maybe that will re-activate those alerts?
I'll do that now, and see what happens.
Thanks!