Medical news...

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
It's Global Warming!!!! The human testes reside outside the body for cooling because normal body temperature is detrimental to sperm production! Add global warming to the mix and Voila! reduced sperm count because the testes are too HOT! LOL
I thought it was all the soy and estrogen in the water...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Man, every time I check in and see this thread in the list I get a feeling of dread, thinking it's going to be announcement you have cancer or something. It's gotten me several times now. I reluctantly click it, and am relieved... "oh it's this thread again, thank God."

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Man, every time I check in and see this thread in the list I get a feeling of dread, thinking it's going to be announcement you have cancer or something. It's gotten me several times now. I reluctantly click it, and am relieved... "oh it's this thread again, thank God."
God forbid ... thank goodness I don't have cancer.

Having said that, the reason I started this thread is because I've always been fascinated by medicine. My father was a pediatrician, you see. He was a Tulane University graduate. And, as a matter of fact, the first pediatrician in all of Mexico at the time (that was late 1950's)

I had the most fascinating conversations with the man when I was a child. But, alas, he left this world way too soon. And God knows that I miss him dearly.

From him, I inherited a natural curiosity of all things related to natural sciences and biology. And also terrible hand writing... lol ...

So many things in my life that I'm grateful for... a single thread does not suffice.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Having said that, the reason I started this thread is because I've always been fascinated by medicine. My father was a pediatrician, you see. He was a Tulane University graduate. And, as a matter of fact, the first pediatrician in all of Mexico at the time (that was late 1950's)
That's impressive!

This is going to be a bit off topic; if you'd rather continue in PM or in a different thread let me know, I'd be happy to move it.

This idea of being the first Pediatrician (or the first OBGYN, Dentist, Endocrinologist, Veterinarian, whatever) has been bouncing around in the back of my head this morning and I'm curious... how well was he received? Was he mocked? Did he have to convince people that they needed his expertise?

I'm just thinking about people's general aversion to change and skepticism of new things. Imagine if today saw the emergence of a new medical field: gay doctors. Not doctors who are gay, but doctors who specialize in medical challenges unique to or predominantly affecting the LG-alphabet community. Plenty (perhaps most?) people might find that laughable, but in 50 years time this could possibly be commonplace. People might say "what's special about gays that they need their own doctors? They're humans just like the rest of us that doctors are already trained to treat." Trying to put myself in the mind of someone who grew up in a place with no Pediatricians, I might have the same questions about them. I might say "My doctor treats me, my wife, my kids, my horse, and my dog; why do I now need a separate doctor just for my kids?"

Obviously that's not a question that I need answered in 2022 USA but I am curious if your father had to answer it in 1950's Mexico, and if so, how well did people receive the answer?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

John DeLong and his colleagues at the University of Nebraska have discovered that a species of Halteria—microscopic ciliates prevalent in freshwater habitats worldwide—can consume a sizable number of infectious chloroviruses. For the first time, the team's laboratory tests have also demonstrated that a virus-only diet, or "virovory," can support an organism's physiological growth and even population increase.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

The “Düsseldorf patient” tested positive for HIV in 2008. In 2011, he developed leukaemia that was treated with chemotherapy, but it came back the following year. So, in 2013, the blood stem cells in the man’s bone marrow that give rise to immune cells – including the cancerous ones – were killed off by chemotherapy and then replaced with donor blood stem cells.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
My wife and oldest daughter have both had melanomas removed from their faces. Wife is a red head (auburn not a carrot top although now gray) with fair skin and lots of freckles so she has regular yearly screenings by our dermatologist. Last time I was screened they were using UV but I failed to ask just why and what advantage it gave him. I always put on sun screen, long sleeves, long pants, and a hat when going offshore fishing these days but by the end of the season I'm dark brown. No more shorts, tee shirts, and bare bald head for me. One of the guys I took fishing has had his melanoma metastasize into his bones and had several operations for it. It is nothing to play around with.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The first time my doctor removed a suspicious growth from my back was the end of my Hawaiian beach weekends. I really don’t like to even go out in the daytime
now.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
After they fused my C4-C7 vertebrae, I walked around like Frankenstein's monster with an electrode on each side of my neck attached to a low voltage Bone Fusion Accelerator. I can only say that the doc told me it would speed up the fusion of the cadaver bone grafts replacing the 3 intervertebral disks they removed to the slots they carved in the adjacet vertebrae for the grafts. Wore that thing for about a year. So, yeah, apparently there has been some research showing that it does aid healing. Although when my wife had her C4-C6 fusion they didn't put one on her for some reason but she healed faster than I did. Go figure...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

The major discovery of UCLouvain scientists is that the MitoQ molecule prevents cancer stem cells from waking up. Cancer stem cells are dormant and biding their time, and they are insensitive to clinical treatment. They are the cause of metastases and, if surgery does not eliminate all of them, then they cause recurrences. The UCLouvain scientists found that MitoQ can prevent these cells from waking up, which can prevent the recurrence and metastasis of cancer.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Last summer my blood pressure was very low and my heart rate was also very low and with frequent missing beats. I had many xrays and tests, one test was the beginning of fixing a heart attack with stents but my heart appeared to be in perfect condition.
They did not know what was wrong with my heart so I stopped taking my blood pressure reducing pills and I was fine for 1 month, something (the Covid vaccine?) caused my blood pressure pills to be too strong? Then I needed the pills again.

My family doctor looked at an xray of my heart and said it should last for another 20 years but saw a blurred and dim image of something small at the side of the xray. Many lung tests and a biopsy revealed Lung Cancer. With Covid almost gone the surgeries were caught up and I was booked into my local hospital and quickly had the cancer removed. It was the smallest and earliest lung cancer they have ever seen. I had no symptoms. I quit smoking 25 years ago.

The operation was modern with 3 tiny holes in my side: one for the camera, a second for the tools and the 3rd for the piece of cancer to be pulled out. The day after surgery I asked the surgeon if I can go home and she said after the tests tomorrow.
At home I removed the two bandages covering 2 of the holes in me and the 3rd hole had a stitch that dissolved itself in 1 week.
Later tests showed they got it all and it did not spread. I am glad that they did not cut my ribs open in these modern times.
Now I am Fine! I was lucky that my cancer was discovered early.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

As we age, the rate at which gene transcription happens in our bodies increases. It’s a process through which our bodies make an RNA copy of a gene's DNA sequence. It’s a vitally important process because it is a main regulator of protein levels. But the ‘machine’ responsible for executing this flawless process becomes sloppier as we age.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007