Measuring DC motor resistance

mikeoz

Joined Sep 25, 2017
I've attached a drawing of my circuit below. Would I connect the DMM like I have it in the drawing?
Also, my DMM only goes up to 10A. Would you think I'd need to use a resistor?

Thanks

Michael

Attachments

mikeoz

Joined Sep 25, 2017
I think the standard blade fuse in the circuit is rated for 15A continous current and it will blow at roughly double that. My DMM does have a replaceable fuse I think. Would you test it like i have it in the drawing I attached then? What would you do to measure this if it does exceed the 10A of the DMM?

Thanks

Michael

mikeoz

Joined Sep 25, 2017
I see, so put the DMM between the battery and driver. Does it mater which side it goes - positive or negative?

Thanks
Michael

mikeoz

Joined Sep 25, 2017
Great, thanks. The reason for testing this is someone suggested maybe a safer way of protecting the motors in the event of a stall might be to use lower current motor drivers (say for example 20A) which still have protection features such as overcurrent. That way the drivers will trip out before the motors see the 44A (we calculated) at stall. The drivers i'm using at the moment are rated for 43A. Do you think this sounds like a good idea?

Michael

mikeoz

Joined Sep 25, 2017
Haha! But does it sound to you like a good idea for protecting the motors - as it'll mean buying new drivers?

Michael

mikeoz

Joined Sep 25, 2017
Just a question on measuring the running current:
If the fuse blows in the DMM, what value resistor would you use to measure the voltage?

Thanks

Michael