MCS-51 compatible software burner help

limyx826

Joined Nov 20, 2019
I currently working on a MCS-51 based project and I tried to burn hex file into my microcontroller. The microcontrollers I used are AT89S51 and STC89C51RC. I tried to use ProgISP and AVRDUDESS to burn hex file into the chips but both came up errors.

When I use ProgISP to load up hex file, this error "checksum error type 0" shows up and the flash memory buffer only had the first 16 bytes load in. When I write it and read it back, the buffer shows the flash memory completely empty.

Next I tried to AVRDUDESS to burn the hex in but every time I hit Go or Program this show up in the status window:
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 500 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

The things I'm using are of follows:
Windows 10 1909
USBASP USBISP USB ASP ISP AVR ATMEGA328 ATMEGA328P Programmer
8051 Series 8-bit Microcontroller Development Module
Atmel AT89S51
STC89C51RC

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
make sure AVRDUDESS is correctly installed and is able to detect USBASP firmware first,
by connecting a raw microcontroller like AVR with correctly-set fusebits and trying to read flash/fusebits.
if everything was OK,try to change frequency option in AVRDUDESS with the 8051 uc.
if gives error again, clock fusebits might be set to external clock source, like crystal osc .or you have not fed a correct power supply to microcontroller and something.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If you are using a Mac that's had the system software updated within the last couple of years you might find that USBASP no longer works. That was my experience both with Mac software and using XP running under the Mac OS on VirtualBox, even though USBASP was visible on the hardware report.