Mc2100ls-30 tread mill control bored pretends to me a sparkler

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
Hello! So the other night me and my wife had gotten a tread mill (Nordic trac elite 3700) off of Facebook marketplace for $50 and I tilted the walking track upwards last night and for some reason the incline motor decided to continuously lower itself.

It appears it Endlessly increased its draw for amperage like my body endlessly increases its draw for sugar.

so anyways… pulled the motor cover and the motor Control board ( mc2100ls-30 rev) and it appears to me that the rectifying circuit before the transformer (I’m assuming this is all part of the SMPS) has Arced Out and fried to resistors and the (5 way switching diode) almost reminds me of a bridge recitifier but I saw someone else refer to as the aforementioned term.

basically it seems like my 12v supply got left in the toaster far too long and instead of repairing it I want to snip out the rectifier on the little heat sink and figure out where to tie in an external 12v supply and possibly if anyone knows how many amps I need to support this unit!

any help is greatly appreciated and casual conversation is welcome.

I’ve struggled with weight for a long time and the second me and my wife got something to help us it popped and sizzled lol
So anyways here’s the pictures of the burnt toast

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is the SMPS supply for the LV 12vdc.
You may have a job getting that IC now, I believe it is obsolete.
If a problem, you could add a LV linear version into it, or modify a Wall-Wart to fit.

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
That is the SMPS supply for the LV 12vdc.
You may have a job getting that IC now, I believe it is obsolete.
If a problem, you could add a LV linear version into it, or modify a Wall-Wart to fit.
I want to try adding in a Walwart instead! I just don’t know where to solder it in at.

I greatly appreciate the fast reply

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The LV is normally connected to HD2 GND is pin 1 & 8, 12v is pin 2.
On some models with this SMPS on board, there is a Large rectifier diode and a capacitor after the on board SMPS transformer .
Probably wise to remove the transformer also.
Trace the LV from the D5 diode .
You could probably connect the wall-wart to the D5-C3 location after you remove them

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
The LV is normally connected to HD2 GND is pin 1 & 8, 12v is pin 2.
On some models with this SMPS on board, there is a Large rectifier diode and a capacitor after the on board SMPS transformer .
Probably wise to remove the transformer also.
Trace the LV from the D5 diode .
You could probably connect the wall-wart to the D5-C3 location after you remove them
So if I am understanding correctly… I should remove the transformer circled in blue, and the cap and diode circled in red, and trace the pins (circled in yellow) respectively back to those two components and solder in the walwart where the cap and diode are to the appropriate through hole?

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should be able to connect to there if there is correct continuity to HD2, the transformer would need removing. and check any other device close to the TXFR.

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
Awesome. Thank you so much! I will be working on this when I get home and post my method and results. Do you have any insight of how much amperage I may need?

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
Welp. Got the console on top going and incline functions but no go on drive motor.

Pwm areas red light would only partially illuminate and I measured across the top of the caps around hd7 and the actual top were reading 120v ac and so I just set the treadmill to 5mph and after a minute or so an IC exploded on me.

I’m assuming this should be the end of this board? I’m so sad to see this treadmill go but I can’t afford the near 200 dollar replacement for it.AA0BECC6-487A-4B73-B710-12E2B90BE0D8.jpeg40B05315-0013-4DC5-9EE0-A053A0E193EF.jpeg

Last edited:

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
Welp. Got the console on top going and incline functions but no go on drive motor.

Pwm areas red light would only partially illuminate and I measured across the top of the caps around hd7 and the actual top were reading 120v ac and so I just set the treadmill to 5mph and after a minute or so an IC exploded on me.

I’m assuming this should be the end of this board? I’m so sad to see this treadmill go but I can’t afford the near 200 dollar replacement for it.View attachment 267831View attachment 267832

I’m assuming this should be the end of this board? I’m so sad to see this treadmill go but I can’t afford the near 200 dollar replacement for it.View attachment 267831View attachment 267832
U3 to be specific is what threw sparks this time

juicyfruit85

Joined May 22, 2022
Never mind :/ looks like this board is only supportive of 2.5hp

ignore the text below…

Is it possible to use a different model of board? I found an mc2100-12s for 50 dollars that has the same headers and plugs o_O wondering what the risks would be attempting to use this?33E5ABC5-E3E3-4F1F-8FDA-1F8BD468BC32.png

Last edited: